Help me with my budget build!

Hello to all!

I'm working on my first gaming rig; it'll be a budget rig priced at or (preferably) under $550 without peripherals. Here's the build template I'm working with: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/uvVZ . The only thing set in stone is the 7850 and I'm 90% sure I want the i3 (no AMD because I dont want to overclock and may Hackintosh in the future), but everything else is from a recommended build I found on reddit.

What I basically want are components that are cheat but that aren't absolute garbage. What that means is the case should cost about $50 at max, the mobo ~$60, and the RAM to be fairly cheap as well (is ~$35 a good price point?).

All suggestions are welcome and appreciated! :)
14 answers Last reply
More about help budget build
  1. Here you go:

    Case
    Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower $59
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129066

    MOBO
    ASRock H77M LGA 1155 Intel H77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel $69
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157303

    RAM
    G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 $44
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231314

    Total: $162
  2. That gpu you have listed is sold out. Get this one asus hd 7850 dc2 $170 after $10 rebate http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121651

    **edit
    Maybe that one you have listed isn't sold out but I'd still get the asus over it.
  3. strife_ff7 said:
    That gpu you have listed is sold out. Get this one asus hd 7850 dc2 $170 after $10 rebate http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121651

    **edit
    Maybe that one you have listed isn't sold out but I'd still get the asus over it.


    Getting it in the mail today! :DD
  4. avenseth12 said:
    Here you go:

    Case
    Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower $59
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129066

    MOBO
    ASRock H77M LGA 1155 Intel H77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel $69
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157303

    RAM
    G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 $44
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231314

    Total: $162

    Any huge advantages of the mobo you gave over the one I provided? I see there are a couple extra slots but I don't think I'll be using them.

    The RAM looks good; thanks for the tip.

    I think the case I have in the build list will suffice my needs, but thanks for the link to the other one anyways. :)
  5. If you plan to run 2 GPU's then get a full ATX board, if not save the money and go smaller
  6. avenseth12 said:
    If you plan to run 2 GPU's then get a full ATX board, if not save the money and go smaller


    No crossfire/SLI for me! What would you recommend as a cheap board for a single one?
  7. The Asrock board I linked above
  8. avenseth12 said:
    The Asrock board I linked above


    Are there comparable ones about $10 cheaper, or are there features on the one you provided that make it well worth the price?

    What about this one?: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138358 It's only $50 after MIR and the only difference I see is the number of USB ports (which I wont be using a ton of).
  9. The board is only $69 - that is real cheap for a decent mobo
  10. avenseth12 said:
    The board is only $69 - that is real cheap for a decent mobo


    This looks to be just as decent, especially considering the $50 price tag: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138358
  11. That board will also work
  12. avenseth12 said:
    That board will also work


    Great, thanks! :) One last question: the Ivy Bridge i3 from my build works with 1.35V RAM, right?
  13. I gave you a link to better RAM then you had selected. I have not seen that RAM before use a reputable brand
  14. Thanks for your input! :) Here's the final build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/uTwG
Ask a new question

Read More

Build Systems Product