Sign in with
Your question

Bad display profile?- ALL COLORS YELLOW ON ALL VIDEO CARDS!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 12, 2012 12:42:47 PM

Hi once again!

I've recently obtained and started using a Mac at the office when an employee left. It's my first mac as I've always used PC's before.

It was all going great, great performance, look, when suddenly when I turn it on one day all the colors in pictures and graphics look messed up. They will and be more "yellowish"... blue will be purple, green will be a dirty yellow-brown... and it's really killing me looking at these "dirty" colors...

I think it's up with the Mac's Display Profile, as I've changed the graphics card (there's two in my Mac) and I have dual monitors and the problem showed up at the same time on both monitors.

I've tried to reset the display profile, but I have had no luck- deleting them, reseting system settings, etc.

It's a PowerMac G5, late 2005? There are 4 display ports in the back, from a NVIDIA GeForce 6600 (not in use) and a NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GT (both ports in use). Both are 256MB. Processor(if you need to find the model on the website) is a PowerPC G5 Dual Core at 2.3 GHz.

If you could please respond quickly that would be great as I need this computer for graphics and these colors prevent me from doing so.

Thank you! :hello: 

Sam

a b U Graphics card
November 12, 2012 12:50:07 PM

I would recommend you get a new card as a replacement. If the display still has the dirty color issue then try a different display.
m
l
November 12, 2012 12:54:27 PM

Rockdpm said:
I would recommend you get a new card as a replacement. If the display still has the dirty color issue then try a different display.

I would except that I have two card and it's happening to both, and it's happening to both monitors.

Thanks for the reply though!
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
November 12, 2012 2:12:56 PM

I don't mean use one of the other cards. I'm saying... go to the store...buy a little GT 630 or WHATEVER and Plug it in. and see if the issue still occurs. I don't mean switch display ports on the cards you already have
m
l
November 12, 2012 2:45:50 PM

Rockdpm said:
I don't mean use one of the other cards. I'm saying... go to the store...buy a little GT 630 or WHATEVER and Plug it in. and see if the issue still occurs. I don't mean switch display ports on the cards you already have

The cards must be working because the colors only look bad on applications that use the system video profile. On other applications such as Photoshop that can detect bad profiles, it will say that the system has a bad profile and will say it will load its own profile.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 12, 2012 3:01:49 PM

Do you have the latest drivers? it could be that one of the profiles with the current driver is corrupt
m
l
November 12, 2012 3:11:32 PM

Rockdpm said:
Do you have the latest drivers? it could be that one of the profiles with the current driver is corrupt

I will try to update the drivers now... I've never updated them on a Mac before and will pray it will be simple.

If the profile is corrupt (which it most likely is), how would we go about resetting it?

m
l
November 12, 2012 3:13:51 PM

I just tried to update the drivers and there is no option in the OS drop down menu for OS X.

:( 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 12, 2012 5:43:24 PM

I think you have to go to a certain place on the NVIDIA website for Mac Drivers. But to my understanding you plug in the card and turn on the computer and it loads the kernal
m
l
November 12, 2012 6:12:00 PM

What do you mean "loads the kernal"?

~Sam
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 12, 2012 6:47:17 PM

While macs do use drivers the first thing you see when you cut on the computer is the kernal. Mac OSX is loading the kernel which is in theory to my understand like the pre-state before the driver has been loaded. then you see the second screen which means the driver has been loaded... so first you see a black screen then you see the apple logo white screen come up which means the driver has been loaded and is ready to go
m
l
a c 205 U Graphics card
November 12, 2012 6:56:07 PM

be care full of saying it a bad card or driver. most times it a bent pin or a bad wire in the video cable going to the monitor. i would start by seeing if the monitors work fine on a reg pc. if there yellow on another pc try a new video cable.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 12, 2012 6:58:24 PM

yea i tried suggesting he do that earlier. but hes like oh i already used all the ones i have... which doesn't explain anything but there is still a issue
m
l
November 13, 2012 12:54:08 AM

Any more suggestions?

I do know everything was fine at first before the mac prompted me to "calibrate" the display profile. After I did so, it was fine but then suddenly after a few restarts all graphics, and graphics only turned to a dirty yellow...

I wasn't paying very much attention earlier today when I was editing the company logo and price lists, but it kinda seemed the color is getting better...
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 13, 2012 1:01:17 AM

well maybe it will all work its self out... if not then come back again
m
l
November 13, 2012 2:35:40 AM

Rockdpm said:
well maybe it will all work its self out... if not then come back again

I hope it does... I'll check again tomorrow,

but thank you for all your help.
m
l
November 19, 2012 11:32:17 PM

Good news! The problem has (almost) resolved itself :D  :D  :D  :D  !

The profile is working and colors look correct now in applications... there's only one problem- the wallapaper (it's identical on both monitors) has become the dirty yellow that I mentioned earlier on ONE OF THE TWO MONITORS. The same wallpaper is used on the other monitor and it looks fine... (the monitor's fine, all other programs display fine colors)...

Any ideas?

As usual,
Thanks in advance!
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 20, 2012 1:13:59 AM

Well you could try a different back ground. First try a plain color back ground then try a different image back ground
m
l
November 20, 2012 1:55:44 AM

Rockdpm said:
Well you could try a different back ground. First try a plain color back ground then try a different image back ground

Same problems with every background I try.
m
l
!