Sign in with
Your question

I need help trying to figure out what to do.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 12, 2012 1:51:19 PM

hello,

right now i have the nivida 660. but i notice alot of lag in many of my games, so i found out that my hard drive is starting to go on me and it is causing all the lag. i don't have the money right this second to buy a new one, but if i was to return this card i can go buy a 7850 and a 7850. i was looking around at the 7580 and see that it is around the same fps rate as the 660, but was not sure. the 7850 is around $40 cheaper which would be money that i can put at buying a ssd, or a 7200rpm hhd.

thanks for the help.

the hard drive i have right now is a seagate 1tb 5400rpm. this was before i knew that the 5400rpm was bad for a gaming pc.

More about : figure

a c 236 U Graphics card
November 12, 2012 2:07:18 PM

If your hard drive is the problem, you have to fix it.

But, I see no benefit in exchanging a GTX660 for a 7850, even if the store will not charge you the usual 15% restocking fee.

Is your hard drive still under warranty? 2 years, I think. If so, return that.
Verify that your hard drive really has a problem. Download the drive's maintenace and diagnostic utility from it's web site.
You might find that just reformatting the drive and clearing up the error sectors might do the job.

How much space do you actually use?
If it will fit on a 120gb or 180gb ssd, that is a wonderful reason to push for a ssd.

November 12, 2012 2:13:16 PM

180 gb is what i would need. my friend told me that he would sell me his old 560 ti asus for $130, but he said the hdmi port does not work all the time. would that be a good deal? the hard drive is not under warranty anymore it had 30 days.

thanks
Related resources
November 12, 2012 2:26:33 PM

why i say i think it is my hard drive is because when the light on my case showing hard drive usage when it goes solid everything slows down so much that u cant do anything until it is done and goes back to flashing
a c 236 U Graphics card
November 12, 2012 3:04:43 PM

cisco123 said:
180 gb is what i would need. my friend told me that he would sell me his old 560 ti asus for $130, but he said the hdmi port does not work all the time. would that be a good deal? the hard drive is not under warranty anymore it had 30 days.

thanks

I would not downgrade your graphics card for an older more power hungry card.
In particular if one part does not work, I would not take a chance that something else might not work either.

I am not convinced that your hard drive is failing.
Contact Seagate support. They warrant that drive for 2 years.
They will advise you to run a diagnostic utility to verify proper functioning.
If you have activated the S.M.A.R.T capability, look to see if any condition is not green.

Is it possible that you have a virus or malware infection?
Or, is some sort of logging going on, like fraps or some other task?
Use the windows task manager to see what process is doing all the i/o.
November 12, 2012 4:56:09 PM

how much is there betweeen the 7850 and the 660, i have been more a fan of amd but this sales men told me that i can use this 660, and it will out do a 670 when i oc it.

so i dont know that much other then the higher the number the better the card it
a c 236 U Graphics card
November 12, 2012 5:06:57 PM

cisco123 said:
how much is there betweeen the 7850 and the 660, i have been more a fan of amd but this sales men told me that i can use this 660, and it will out do a 670 when i oc it.

so i dont know that much other then the higher the number the better the card it

In actual usage, you would be hard pressed to tell the difference.
It would take a synthetic benchmark, and you would then find that one beats the other slightly, sepending on the game.

Look at the heirarchy chart at the end of this article:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-car...

And, I would not count on great benefits from overclocking your graphics card.
Vendors are wise to this and select the more overclockable chips to be used in their factory overclocked versions and can charge a premium for them. You might get lucky with a stock card, but don't count on it.
a b U Graphics card
November 12, 2012 5:11:40 PM

It won't outperform a 670 even when overclocked, he was just trying to sell you the 660 xD
Despite that though, the 660 is still a really good card. The 660 is a little better than the 7850, definitely not worth downgrading and paying more, if anything a 660 compares more to a 7870. A 660 will get around 40 - 45 fps average on BF3 all ultra 1080p whereas a 7850 will only get around 30 - 35 fps average. And DON'T go for a 560 Ti, the 660 is better.
Get a new hard drive, try a Western Digital 1TB 7200RPM or even a 500GB. A 180 GB SSD is around twice the price of a 1TB hard drive and the WD 7200Rpm 's are not exactly slow by any means.
November 12, 2012 6:50:24 PM

ok, how about the 7870 vs 660, im thinking i should just get the 7870 because then it comes with farcry 3
a b U Graphics card
November 12, 2012 7:01:08 PM

No! don't you get it! you already have a really good card (the 660) so there's no point in buying a different card for the same or marginally worse performance!
November 12, 2012 7:14:28 PM

You really need to test your HD, defrag, scan disk and antivirus. Then make sure no apps are running in the backgroud when you are playing games. i.e. antivirus scanning or updating. Check out game booster.
a b U Graphics card
November 12, 2012 7:25:52 PM

olin9 said:
You really need to test your HD, defrag, scan disk and antivirus. Then make sure no apps are running in the backgroud when you are playing games. i.e. antivirus scanning or updating. Check out game booster.

+1
a c 236 U Graphics card
November 12, 2012 8:00:36 PM

++^
Fix your hard drive problem first.
!