Sign in with
Your question

Windows 8 keycode transfer

Last response: in Windows 8
February 3, 2013 1:46:02 AM

I recently purchased an upgrade code for windows 8, and installed it on a Windows 7 computer. If I were to go back to Windows 7 using the original installation media and key code, would I be able to use the same Windows 8 keycode to upgrade a different computer?
a b $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
February 3, 2013 1:50:00 AM

Hello... one code per computer.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
February 3, 2013 1:54:16 AM

swilczak said:
I recently purchased an upgrade code for windows 8, and installed it on a Windows 7 computer. If I were to go back to Windows 7 using the original installation media and key code, would I be able to use the same Windows 8 keycode to upgrade a different computer?

A recent post in this forum indicated that your upgrade installation of windows 8 replaced your copy of windows 7 and the old copy of windows 7 and it's activation code is no longer valid. It seem that you can't go back to windows 7 without purchasing a new os. Nasty!!
m
l
Related resources
a c 412 $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
February 3, 2013 2:05:47 AM

"If I use a Windows 8 Upgrade disc/download to upgrade my Windows 7 computer to Windows 8, can I then use my old Windows 7 disc and product key to install Windows 7 on another computer?"

No. The Windows 8 Upgrade license replaces the previous Windows 7 (or Windows Vista or Windows XP) license.

To be clear: your old version of Windows that you upgraded from can no longer be used on your current, or any other, computer.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
February 3, 2013 2:36:26 AM

In a way, that makes sense from Microsoft's point of view, but in some ways not. I can see both sides of the coin on this one.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
February 3, 2013 2:47:37 AM

Hello... what do you expect for $39.99.
m
l
February 3, 2013 2:52:55 AM

SR-71 Blackbird said:
"If I use a Windows 8 Upgrade disc/download to upgrade my Windows 7 computer to Windows 8, can I then use my old Windows 7 disc and product key to install Windows 7 on another computer?"

No. The Windows 8 Upgrade license replaces the previous Windows 7 (or Windows Vista or Windows XP) license.

To be clear: your old version of Windows that you upgraded from can no longer be used on your current, or any other, computer.

This is not true. Read here:

http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/licensing/sblicensing/p...
m
l
a c 412 $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
February 3, 2013 2:58:07 AM

That's for a downgrade from a preinstalled OEM 8.He's talking about an upgrade 8 install over a 7 then going back which is not allowed.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
February 3, 2013 3:05:15 AM

Hello... does the downgrade cost 39.99 too? Might be a good time to buy Microsoft Stock.
m
l
February 3, 2013 3:13:02 AM

SR-71 Blackbird said:
That's for a downgrade from a preinstalled OEM 8.He's talking about an upgrade 8 install over a 7 then going back which is not allowed.

Ok I got that covered also. Here is a guy with an identical problem as our fella here and he is getting assistance from the moderator and someone at Microsoft.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/window...

Scroll to the post by Andre De Costa.

http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/licensing/sblicensing/p...

And this post which shows the rights of certain software owners with no mention of preinstalls or upgrades.

Basically Microsoft offered preinstall Win 8s the choice to go down to win 7 or vista if they wanted to with their license. Upgrades do not have that option but they certainly will not stop you from reinstalling and using windows 7 if you already owned it. For instance you cannot buy the windows 8 upgrade from your OEM windows XP copy and then downgrade to windows 7. You still cannot use win 7 and 8 at the same time on different computers, and if your win 7 copy was OEM it still must be installed to the same motherboard it was bound to, but other than that you are good to go.
m
l
a c 412 $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
February 3, 2013 3:25:04 AM

No, downgrade rights are not available to Windows 8 Pro retail upgrade at all. The system needs to come preloaded with Windows 8 Pro OEM at the factory in order to qualify for downgrade rights. < This gives you a downgrade path to windows 7 pro on a preinstalled oem 8.

If you use the 8 pro retail upgrade or download on a computer with an oem or retail 7 installed, the 7 license is no longer valid.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-discussion/10529-que...

read the reply here ^
m
l
February 3, 2013 3:33:22 AM

SR-71 Blackbird said:
No, downgrade rights are not available to Windows 8 Pro retail upgrade at all. The system needs to come preloaded with Windows 8 Pro OEM at the factory in order to qualify for downgrade rights. < This gives you a downgrade path to windows 7 pro on a preinstalled oem 8.

If you use the 8 pro retail upgrade or download on a computer with an oem or retail 7 installed, the 7 license is no longer valid.

He is not following a downgrade path as Microsoft has outlined. As they have stated anyone who buys a system with windows 8 Pro basically gets a copy of windows 7 PRO and Vista to use on that single machine to their hearts content (One OS at a time). The original poster is not doing that at all. He was asking if he could install windows 7 on his old computer and windows 8 on a new one. That is certainly not allowed, but upgrading to windows 8 does not invalidate his windows 7 license. If he wants the windows 8 copy to be dormant and run on windows 7 he is fully entitled to do so.

Think about it this way. If I had a windows 7 computer. I ordered a windows 8 upgrade and downloaded and burned it to a CD. Until I install the new OS I am in the exact same situation as that guy asked if he could do. Also until I install the windows 8 OS I have also accepted no TOS from Microsoft (there isn't one during the check out process). So if I delay in installing Windows 8 Microsoft is certainly not going to disable my Windows 7 Key.

I went ahead and read that forum post you linked. Besides being from a 3rd party website and certainly not experts they are referring to dual booting both windows 7 and 8 at the same time. And yes we have already established you cannot use windows 7 copy and windows 8 copy at the same time. You do not get a 2nd license from buying an upgrade. You still have only 1 license to use at a time.
m
l
February 5, 2013 10:26:12 AM

BriboCN said:
He is not following a downgrade path as Microsoft has outlined. As they have stated anyone who buys a system with windows 8 Pro basically gets a copy of windows 7 PRO and Vista to use on that single machine to their hearts content (One OS at a time). The original poster is not doing that at all. He was asking if he could install windows 7 on his old computer and windows 8 on a new one. That is certainly not allowed, but upgrading to windows 8 does not invalidate his windows 7 license. If he wants the windows 8 copy to be dormant and run on windows 7 he is fully entitled to do so.

Think about it this way. If I had a windows 7 computer. I ordered a windows 8 upgrade and downloaded and burned it to a CD. Until I install the new OS I am in the exact same situation as that guy asked if he could do. Also until I install the windows 8 OS I have also accepted no TOS from Microsoft (there isn't one during the check out process). So if I delay in installing Windows 8 Microsoft is certainly not going to disable my Windows 7 Key.

I went ahead and read that forum post you linked. Besides being from a 3rd party website and certainly not experts they are referring to dual booting both windows 7 and 8 at the same time. And yes we have already established you cannot use windows 7 copy and windows 8 copy at the same time. You do not get a 2nd license from buying an upgrade. You still have only 1 license to use at a time.

The licence is linked to the System so he can actually dual boot with win 7 & win 8 Upgrade as long as it is on the same hardware, I have had to dual boot Windows 7 32 & 64 on the same system with the same Key, when I had to activate over the phone they asked "has the software been removed from any other computer it was installed on" I had to answer "yes", then it asked "Is this the only computer it is currently installed on" again I had to answer "yes". so it's not how many time you install it on one "system" but the fact that they want you to have a licence for each system. Also the Windows 8 OEM,s can now be sold under Microsoft's "Personal Use Licence" which allows it be sold without hardware, but has almost the exact same T&C as an OEM.
m
l
a b * Windows 8
February 5, 2013 11:54:29 AM

Black bird is right, cannot use the older OS that you updated from. No ifs about it. U are allowed to transfer your 8 to a different computer

This is a cutout of my license in pro

There is exceptions to this license, if the license had been declared for reuse by its license holder, do to bad OS not functioning like the call of vista which licenses were reinstated for use.EDIT: Also like to point out with any policy a policy can be broken in the first 2 weeks of the date the policy took effect

EDIT AGAIN:There are talks going on about voiding license with next version upgrade. However your win 8 license will remain for future upgrades
m
l
!