Acer 5535 black screen of death!!

7blades

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2008
Hi all,

My wife's laptop has suddenly stopped displaying images on screen, although the laptop seems to be working.

Apparently this model is prone to this, and can be fixed by replacing the foam layer between the GPU and the heatsink with a small copper shim. I've tried this and still nothing.

I've connected the laptop to the tv via VGA cable, and that only comes up with no video signal.

The heatsink gets hot above both processors and the fan kicks in too so I'm left to assume its the GPU or motherboard?

Can anyone else help with this matter? The GPU is an ATI Radeon HD 3200 hypermemory.

Thanks in advance!

gonziago

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012
If you can hook the laptop up to an external monitor of some sort then the laptop is fine, the screen itself is dead. Though it looks like you tried to do that with a TV. Just in case, I would try to see if you can't get your hands on a computer monitor of any sort. If you can't get any signal from an external monitor then I would have to say that your laptop could be dead even if the lights are working. If not dead then at least you would need to change out the GPU (if separate) or the entire motherboard, which can be expensive.