Sign in with
Your question

Router connection resetting, cannot maintain a connection

Last response: in Networking
December 18, 2011 11:04:16 AM

Hello, I have an internet connection through Charter Communications. I use a Webstar modem with a Linksys WRT54GL v1.1 router. I recently moved and have just been using the cable modem plugged directly into my PC with NO PROBLEMS. But recently, i decided to plug my router in again. I have been trying for weeks to get my router working successfully with a wired connection. For years I have used this setup and have secured a static IP and port forwarding with no problems. But recently when I decided to reconnect my router sometime after I moved into a new house, the router will drop its connection after 5-30mins and will only work again after rebooting. Then 5-30mins later it will do the same. I had immediately setup static IP and port forwarding, so in lieu of this problem i reset the router to default specs. changed all my settings to obtain information automatically. Still, connection lost after 5-30mins. So i borrowed an old router from a friend. It was also a linksys, WRT54G v5. Same problem on default specs and obtain IP, DNS automatically. So i plugged my router back in (WRT54GL v1.1) and i updated the Firmware (I use tomato, so i updated to Tomato 1.28. Same problem. I don't know what to do. I have no idea what the problem could be anymore. Please help!!
December 19, 2011 3:20:04 PM

Does this happen all the time or when you have high traffice, especially torrents? If it happens during torrents, the ARP table may not be big enough within the router to support that many simultaneous connections. If a firmware update doesn't fix it, you may need a new router that can accomodate your needs.
m
l
December 20, 2011 1:44:00 PM

Wow that might very well be it. I will try to connect without starting any downloading program and see what happens and post the results. Any idea on a router i should upgrade too?
m
l
December 20, 2011 3:01:45 PM

I have an older DLink DGL-4100 that supports over 1,000 simultaneous connections, but I would imagine that any newer router should work. Just check the specs to see if it lists how many simultaneous connections it supports and how large the ARP table is. The ARP table may be listed in terms of how much memory the router has.

If you see reviews of people claiming they are downloading torrents with no probelms, that is usually a good indication since torrents can use a lot of simultaneous connections.
m
l
!