using SUBST command upon boot

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hi,

on my XP lap-top with 40GB hard-disk, there is only one partition C: - NTFS
i need to configure d: drive (preferebly without formattnig and reinstalling
windows.)
i heard of the SUBST command that can do the task of adding d: volume that
actually points to a folder c:\myD on the original partition.

problem is the subst command should run upon startup, and if i install
programs on the virtual D: it will not be available upon services startup
only on the user-init stage, and this could cause problems.

i need the D: drive tp created as early as possible in the start-up process
preferebly be fixed.

i heard also of the linkd utility that should do the same work but better, i
downloaded it from the windows 2003 server resource kit but couldn't get it
to work on my XP machine.

is there a way to cause linkd to work on XP machine?
is there a way to persist the d: drive using linkd, subst or any other way
so it will be available upon services startup for a place for installed
programs that should be started upon system startup process?

TIA, z.
2 answers Last reply
More about using subst command boot
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Bing - Boot It Next Generation
    http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/

    > problem is the subst command should run upon startup...

    Would said so?

    subst c: [x]:\. Note backslash converts a drive letter to a path. It must
    point to a valid folder as in: c: d:\Windows

    --
    All the Best,
    Kelly

    Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP-Shell/User
    2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!

    "z f" <zigi@info-scope.co.il> wrote in message

    > Hi,
    >
    > on my XP lap-top with 40GB hard-disk, there is only one partition C: -
    > NTFS
    > i need to configure d: drive (preferebly without formattnig and
    > reinstalling
    > windows.)
    > i heard of the SUBST command that can do the task of adding d: volume that
    > actually points to a folder c:\myD on the original partition.
    >
    > problem is the subst command should run upon startup, and if i install
    > programs on the virtual D: it will not be available upon services startup
    > only on the user-init stage, and this could cause problems.
    >
    > i need the D: drive tp created as early as possible in the start-up
    > process
    > preferebly be fixed.
    >
    > i heard also of the linkd utility that should do the same work but better,
    > downloaded it from the windows 2003 server resource kit but couldn't get
    > it
    > to work on my XP machine.
    >
    > is there a way to cause linkd to work on XP machine?
    > is there a way to persist the d: drive using linkd, subst or any other way
    > so it will be available upon services startup for a place for installed
    > programs that should be started upon system startup process?
    >
    > TIA, z.

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Place the fully qualified SUBST.EXE command in...

    Dave

    "z f" <zigi@info-scope.co.il> wrote in message news:eQ6bBzuxEHA.1300@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...

    | Hi,
    |
    | on my XP lap-top with 40GB hard-disk, there is only one partition C: - NTFS
    | i need to configure d: drive (preferebly without formattnig and reinstalling
    | windows.)
    | i heard of the SUBST command that can do the task of adding d: volume that
    | actually points to a folder c:\myD on the original partition.
    |
    | problem is the subst command should run upon startup, and if i install
    | programs on the virtual D: it will not be available upon services startup
    | only on the user-init stage, and this could cause problems.
    |
    | i need the D: drive tp created as early as possible in the start-up process
    | preferebly be fixed.
    |
    | i heard also of the linkd utility that should do the same work but better, i
    | downloaded it from the windows 2003 server resource kit but couldn't get it
    | to work on my XP machine.
    |
    | is there a way to cause linkd to work on XP machine?
    | is there a way to persist the d: drive using linkd, subst or any other way
    | so it will be available upon services startup for a place for installed
    | programs that should be started upon system startup process?
    |
    | TIA, z.

Drivers Microsoft Command Prompt Windows XP