Sign in with
Your question

Which graphic card?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 12, 2012 6:27:57 PM

Hi i currently have a GTX 465 that i bought 2 years ago with my custom made setup and i was searching for a new card so i can buy when i have the money.

But since those new 600 series came out i really didnt pay much attention to them to see which one is better or not.

Can anyone recommend me a good graphic card to go with this system from the gtx465:

Core i7 950,3.66Ghz

Corsair dominator 3x2Gb

Asus rampage II gene

Power Supply- Cooler Master Real power 620w. (Sorry forgot to add the power supply)

Thanks.

More about : graphic card

a b U Graphics card
November 12, 2012 6:34:21 PM

What power Supply do you have? And what's your price limit?
November 12, 2012 6:44:38 PM

I edited my post sorry bout that.

I live in another country that there isnt dollars but i calculated from dollars to my countrys money.

Ranging from 250-300 dollars. I am sure before i get the money it will be cheapened a bit.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
November 12, 2012 6:49:39 PM

I'll be honest I'm an Nvidia fanboy but the XFX HD 7870 DD edition is a beast for its price point. If you want slightly better performance the GTX 660 Ti is always a great choice for a bit more, just don't get a reference card, there are better non-reference 660 Ti's for just a tad bit more.
a b U Graphics card
November 12, 2012 6:57:25 PM

Well what country you in? i'm in England :D 
You have a great processor, (i think you mean 3.06 ghz not 3.66 unless you overclocked it), and fast ram so you won't bottleneck on any card in that price range.
The best card in the price range would be a GTX 660 Ti from amazon, newegg are more expensive on those.
You could get an ASUS:
http://www.amazon.com/GTX660-Series-Video-Graphics-TI-D...
An EVGA:
http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-SUPERCLOCKED-Graphic...
or a Gigabyte Card:
http://www.amazon.com/GIGABYTE-WINDFORCE-PCI-Express-Gr...
I think the MSI Power Edition is best, but it's a little over your budget.
The EVGA card has the worst cooler and so will run hotter than the ASUS or Gigabyte.
So out of those three the EVGA should be slightly faster but run hotter, the Gigabyte runs fast but is louder, and the ASUS will be reliable, sturdy, quiet and Cool due to the DirectCU II cooling.
Up to you :) 
a b U Graphics card
November 12, 2012 6:58:46 PM

mclovits said:
I'll be honest I'm an Nvidia fanboy but the XFX HD 7870 DD edition is a beast for its price point. If you want slightly better performance the GTX 660 Ti is always a great choice for a bit more, just don't get a reference card, there are better non-reference 660 Ti's for just a tad bit more.

+1
Like I said ^^^^^ The EVGA has a reference cooler and so won't run as efficiently.
November 12, 2012 7:15:22 PM

I also forgot to mention that the cards you recommended me Calum. Are they going to be noisy on every game? =/ because my Asus gtx 465 rarely is staying quiet on games.

I am from Lithuania.

They do not ship EVGA,XFX versions in here. But Asus,gigabyte and others like Club 3D are here etc. Just not the EVGA,XFX i think thats all.

Thanks and i cannot order from amazon im afraid. I can only order from my city :p  Thats okay i just hope i find the versions on the shops in the internet.
a b U Graphics card
November 12, 2012 7:23:34 PM

OK :)  No the noise level shouldn't be a problem, bear in mind that this card is 2 generations ahead, so it's more power efficient, and has better performance. (a 660 has roughly the same performance as a 570 if not better.
Also the ASUS 600 series cards have been proven to run very quiet and cool - The best card there IMO. The most popular GTX 680 brand is ASUS for that reason. Therefore they obviously run best in SLI setups so all the enthusiasts use them.

In short - get the ASUS :D 
November 12, 2012 7:25:54 PM

^i just checked out the asus version and there is the exact same card in my shop at my country. Althought i still have to order it. They dont sell in shops,this is not America Lol.

Thanks for the suggestion. And yea i hope the 600 series do run quiet unlike the 465
a b U Graphics card
November 12, 2012 7:27:50 PM

mclovits said:

I hate the 660ti. My opinion is to get a sub $230 7870 (they were as low as $200 a few months ago). Otherwise just get a $300 7950 or $350 670. The 660Ti is just a bastard 670 that is inconsistent and overpriced...
a b U Graphics card
November 12, 2012 7:28:20 PM

yeah one of my friends is upgrading to an i7 3770K and a GTX 680 (I helped him make the decision which parts to get) from an Athlon and a GTX 460 so it was easy to relate to you in this situation. :p 
Seeing as the ASUS is in stock there i'd get that :D 
November 12, 2012 7:34:04 PM

^Was his gtx 460 noisy as hell too?
a b U Graphics card
November 13, 2012 12:01:40 AM

I don't really know as i never paid much attention although each brand differs.
!