Extremely slow Internet on new build.

darksparten

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2012
I just put together my first build, an X79 DX79SI with i7 3930k, I used the integrated USB 2.0 BT/Wi-Fi combo that came with the DX79SI.

No I can't speedtest because Flash/Java/Adobe reader refuse to download and cut off halfway through the download, I assume because of the internet. I have drivers fully updated.

Anything else I can do?

darksparten

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2012
Don't know the speed but my old cheap laptop connects just fine and gets great speeds.

After windows restarted/installed updates the internet is slightly better and is at least able to download google chrome/Sapphire Trixx in about 3-5 minutes.

Should i move closer to the router and see if that changes anything?

Also, if you have the little wireless icon showing on the Taskbar, you can right-click on it and select "OPen Network and Sharing Center".
Then on the right-side of the screen you'll see "connections" and your wireless network name. Click on that, it will tell you both the speed, and the signs; strength.

Also, your system may still be downloading Windows updates in the background, and there are a lot to download and will require many reboots. So it may still slow you down. However, you should check the speeds and signal strength as i mentioned above.

What do they show for speed and signal strength?

darksparten

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2012
Network/Sharing puts my router at a stable 19.5 Mbps with occasional jumps to as high as 50 Mbps but task manager appears to show a steady 26-52 MBps.

I might not be looking in the right place, can you say exactly where i can find it in task manager?

That is too slow if you are using both a wireless N card and a Wireless N router. I'm not certain if you are or not on the router. The PC yes, but not sure if the router is wireless N.

You can go in Task Manager and there should be a Networking tab that will show your connection speed there, but it does not show the signal. The network sharing (right-click taskbar icon) would show the signal strength.
You can try moving closer to the router like you said to see if the speed picks up.