Your question

Turtle Beach rules!!!

Tags:
  • Sound Cards
  • World Of Warcraft
  • Components
Last response: in Components
December 28, 2001 2:38:17 PM

Wow!! Turtle Beach just posted new WDM drivers!! AND THEY ARE AMAZING UNDER WINDOWS XP! Before I had ~15-20% CPU Utilization while watching DVDs under the Radeon 8500, now I have ~10-15% utilization while watching the same DVD!! That's amazing how little CPU cycles the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz is using now!! I'm glad I have a Santa Cruz!!!

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

More about : turtle beach rules

December 28, 2001 11:48:33 PM

I'm glad I have the SQ2500! (same chip as Montego II)

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
December 29, 2001 12:31:53 AM

Yup, hehe!

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
Related resources
December 29, 2001 1:16:18 AM

Dipping my fly in your ointment...what else do you do with your system when you're watching a DVD, that you need the CPU less utilised?

Turtle Beach!!!

Going there for my next Summer Hols. :smile:

<b><font color=blue>~scribble~</font color=blue></b> :wink: <A HREF="http://www.ud.com/home.htm" target="_new">Help cure cancer.</A>
December 29, 2001 1:21:20 AM

Quote:

Dipping my fly in your ointment

Eww, that sounds nasty for some reason; I can't put my finger on it but it's nasty.

Anyway **trying to keep a straight face**, well, I like to do my hw, browse the web (open 20 to 30 windows, 15 of which are the Tom's Hardware community, which I refresh every 10 min, hehe), ICQ, MSN, MS Word/Excel if I have homework, Borland Delphi 5 (programming language), if not. You get the picture.

December 29, 2001 10:46:11 AM

Ahh. Obviously no attention span to a good film. I figured if you stick on a DVD, you're glued to it for the duration, full screen and all.

Must be my age....

<b><font color=blue>~scribble~</font color=blue></b> :wink: <A HREF="http://www.ud.com/home.htm" target="_new">Help cure cancer.</A>
December 29, 2001 11:20:44 AM

lol, I can multitask in my mind, lol

January 2, 2002 6:56:12 PM

And if you have dual monitors, you can watch a movie on one screen and do other stuff on the other screen.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
January 3, 2002 12:41:26 AM

It is great to have dual monitors. I watch a movie on one screen and do my work on the other screen all the time. Dual monitor also great when I debug my program. I can read the souce code and excute the program on different screen.
January 3, 2002 7:26:02 AM

Would those new drivers work on Win2000 aswell?

My Videologic Sonicfury is arriving in the post today hopefully. I was just wondering if those drivers would work on my card. They are the same after all?!? Or are there differences?

Cheers.

-----------------------------------
Don't extract the urine.
January 3, 2002 10:59:09 AM

Yeah, they are WDM drivers so they would work perfectly under Win2000 or even WinMe.

January 3, 2002 10:08:38 PM

OK I just received my TB Santa Cruz, plugged it in, installed the latest drivers etc. SO it's all in there.

So I listen to an MP3 and only the rear two speakers give sound what ever speaker profile I pick, I want sound to come out of all speakers is that possible? I didn't pay the extra cash for a 5.1 system for nothing.

Is there any utility with the soundcard that tests each speaker like the SBLive 5.1??

I got rid of my live because I couldn't get all 5 speakers to work, but if I manually test the each speaker by plugging it into the rear outputs then they work, so the speakers aren't faulty.

Can someone help me out, I've friggin had it up to here!!!

Thanks.

Don't extract the urine.
January 4, 2002 11:24:16 AM

I'm willing to bet this problem occurs because you have selected Digital 4.1. Assuming you have a 5.1 setup installed, in speaker mode Select 6 Speakers (5.1). Now, under Master Bolume, make sure Pan L/R, is centered and Fade F/B is centered. Also, enable the Virtual 5.1 (which converts 4.1 sound from games to Virtual 5.1 by mixing the two front channels. Center should be at the very right. Sub(LFE) should also be at the right. Well, I guess that's all I can offer.

January 4, 2002 11:58:17 AM

That's exactly how it's all set up at the moment. (Not digital 4.1)

So when I listen to MP3s, should all speakers output music?

Because signals are only being sent to the rear speakers and the sub woofer.

Green, black, and orange cables are plugged in both sides too.

Don't extract the urine.
January 4, 2002 12:18:33 PM

That's weird! Are you sure the front speakers are plugged it properly?

January 4, 2002 12:52:37 PM

Everything is plugged in.

1. When playing an MP3 from winamp, how many speakers should be outputting music?

2. I have an MSI K7 Master mobo (with via chipset) could it have anything to do with that?

3. There are lots of devices charing interrupt 11 because I have ACPI enabled, could that be a reason why it's not working?

4. I have tried setting irq 5 to legacy/ISA and of course tried with the auto setting, or am I barking up the wrong tree?

5. I have Cambridge Soundworks DTT2200 5.1 speakers, is it possible that the subwoofer's 2 front and 1 center speaker sockets are busted? None of the speakers are faulty I've checked each one individually. Simply what is happenning is that there is no signal coming from the subwoofer's 2 front and 1 center speaker sockets (3 altogether), any ideas?

I bought this card because my SBLive player 5.1 was giving me problems too.

Don't extract the urine.
January 5, 2002 5:50:25 AM

How are you testing your speakers? If you're just plugging each speaker into the rear output sockets on the central unit, then I'd try swapping lines 1 and 2 from the soundcard to the speakers around (so the front speakers will get the rear signal and the rear speakers will get the front signal). If you get sound from the front, then you know it's the Sound Card. If you get no sound, then it's the front channel connector on the DTT2200's.
January 5, 2002 6:42:16 PM

Well I tried what you suggested (swapping line 1 & 2) and here's what I found.

If I swap lines 1 & 2 (of course only at one end) sound still comes out of the rear speakers. Does that sound confusing? I'm completely confused.

So I thought today I would install Win98SE on my machine and put the win98 drivers on. Exactly the same thing happens. If I send the front speakers signal (green cable) to the rear (black cable) and vise versa, the sound still comes out of the rear speakers!

I am absolutely miffed.

Don't extract the urine.
January 5, 2002 6:49:24 PM

That could only mean one thing: something is wrong with your speakers.

January 5, 2002 6:57:49 PM

Are you sure of that? My brain is completely dead now but I'm gonna try to understand.

If I plug each speaker indiviiidually into the subwoofer rear speaker output socket each speaker works.

So the speakers are fine then maybe the circuitry in the subwoofer is messed up?

I've just remembered that a friend of mine has the same speaker set as me so I may try his subwoofer and see what happens.Am I right so far or am I getting confused.

Don't extract the urine.
January 5, 2002 7:19:33 PM

yup, it sounds like something is wrong with the subwoofer connectors then.

January 6, 2002 12:33:35 AM

OK here's the history of what I've done about this problem

First I used to have a SB Live player 5.1 and windows 2000

It worked fine. The I started reaading on forums about VIA and SB Live, then one day my sound didn't work properly. As explained in previous posts.

I fiddled with BIOS settings, IRQ, ACPI, legacy/ISA etc.... I put the cards in the PCI slots in all the different combinations. I reinstalled windows. but to no avail.

I then started reading post about more people with problems and I thought they must be having the same problems as me, then people say they got rid of their sound cards and got different ones instead, I ordered my Turtle Beach Santa Cruz and waited over 2 weeks because they were out of stock, when it finally arrived I tried in win2000 and I had the same problem as with the live, I couldn't believe I then tried installing Win98, same problem.

Final straw before I sold my Mobo was to go to friends house and test my subwoofer and sound card there, so I take all the gear there, and then we were just listening to his setup and he mentionned he couldn't hear any sound from his rear speakers and the he said "Oh it must be the balance" referring to the balance control knob on the volume control speaker attachment.

WHICH I NEVER NEW WAS THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I went home and centered the balance, and it worked fine!!!!!!!!!

I'm speechless now. I AM SO VEXED, and so relieved at the same time.

I never want something like that EVER to happen again. Just ignore my signature on this occasion, you can take the piss as much as you like!!!!

Don't extract the urine.
January 6, 2002 12:51:26 AM

At least you've got the courage to admit what you've done wrong on a public forum. Most people would just let their ego's get the better of them or just wimp out.
January 6, 2002 1:21:07 AM

Wow! Hehe. It's happened to me once before! I replaced my TV Tuner, when it was just a driver conflict. I learned that you'll pay for your mistakes but at least you learn something.

January 7, 2002 12:06:14 AM

Yes, it was definitely a learning experience. One thing to remember I suppose, is to look at the easiest solution solution first, before delving into more complicated things such as VIA 686 hardware compatibility issues.

Don't extract the urine.
January 7, 2002 12:09:58 AM

I don't suppose those WDM drivers would work in win98, would they?

Don't extract the urine.
!