Monitor Setups for gaming

Subject E57

Honorable
Oct 31, 2012
Hello everyone,
With all of the possible monitor setups nowadays such as triple monitors at 5760 x 1080 or big 27" 2560 x 1440 resolution monitors what is your preference to game on? How many games actually support these resolutions? With 3 monitors all I ever hear about is battlefield 3. Sadly for me I have yet to experience any of these setups first hand so I was wondering if it is worth switching from a single 1080p monitor? Isn't one big monitor that fills your periphrases enough?

Also is AMD still better at multi-monitors? (Who else goes to type ATI every time?)

Solution

Any card with 2gb of ram or more is sufficent, I'm still using 560's in SLI with no problems. With the 690 you can use the one card to connect all three monitors. I played on my buddy's before I decided to get the setup. He had been telling me for months how awesome it was and I wasn't convinced till I played his setup.

Catch the Acer S231HL monitors on sale at mirco center, newegg and...

chase3567

Honorable
Mar 23, 2012

A lot of games support triple monitor setup and any that don't the "widescreen website" has fixes for FOV to make most playable.

I have three games that I can't play on triple monitors but they will come up on all screens just not best to play them. Street Fighter(can be played in horizontal triple monitor),Resident Evil 5 and NBA 2k are the two I play on one screen.

I can play Skyrim,BF3,Diablo 3,Torchlight 2,Witcher 2,Mass Effect 3,Borderlands 2(w/physx),Both Batmans,Dragon Age II,FFXIV,Deus Ex Human Revolution,Grand Theft Auto IV,Need for Hot Pursuit,Shift 2(which are immersive),Total War Shogun 2,STWOR,Civ V and Guild Wars 2 with no problems.

Once you play on 3 you can never go back........ I use Nvidia Surround at 6080x1080p bezel corrected resolution.

ajl2011shooter

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012
Totally agree with Chase3567 once you play in eyefinity or surround you will never go back! I'v used both surround and eyefinity and I like nvidia better. Just keep in mind you will have to have a fairly beastly setup to keep decent frame rates.

Subject E57

Honorable
Oct 31, 2012

Well you pretty much described a list of my favorite games right now, I'm also thinking of buying a 690 so I'm hoping I would be able to run them all smoothly with that. Would you need anything more than 4GB of graphics memory? I just wish with something as expensive as 3 monitors I could try before I buy. Which monitors would you recommend?

chase3567

Honorable
Mar 23, 2012

Any card with 2gb of ram or more is sufficent, I'm still using 560's in SLI with no problems. With the 690 you can use the one card to connect all three monitors. I played on my buddy's before I decided to get the setup. He had been telling me for months how awesome it was and I wasn't convinced till I played his setup.

Catch the Acer S231HL monitors on sale at mirco center, newegg and compusa. Most of the time they go on sale for $150.00 a piece. Mid range monitors for a great price and comes with the connection cords for DVI,VGA and HMDI. I perfer Samsung monitors but your talking upwards of $200.00+ apiece. You could go with 21.5" inch if it fits your budget better just make sure they are 1080p and have DVI connections.

I have all three hooked up with the DVI connections, I could have used two HMDI and one DVI but I had 4 DVI connections with SLI setup so I used that instead.

Solution