How To Avoid Static Electricity

I'm going to be build my computer within the next couple days and i am worried i'm going to ruin it. So, how can i avoid static electricity? I already decided im not going to get a anti-static wrist band.

I'm going to be building it in my kitchen that has Tile Flooring(Not sure what kind of tile) and Tile Counter tops(Not sure what kind of tile).
6 answers Last reply
More about avoid static electricity
  1. Just touch something metal before you start to discharge any static electricity build up. I'd wear shoes and not fuzzy bunny slippers, a fuzzy robe, and a sweater. No, but seriously, I have build and worked on so many computers and never had any issues. Unless you are working in a manufacturing facility, you don't have to go to any extremes. Just make sure you aren't going to static shock something when you touch it by just making sure to touch the computer chassis or something else metal that will discharge you.
  2. Yea you should be fine on that surface. I built 2 computers on carpet with socks on and nothing happened. The first one has been kicking for 4 years!

    Just touch the case or something metal before you touch any components to discharge electricity. I really dont think that wrist strap is necessary.
  3. Yea like the other two posters stated your being overly paranoid about it. Just don't go around on carpet like a little kid trying to create static electricity. Touching the case will discharge anything else. Your not really going ruin a part unless your really trying to create static electricity.
  4. The standard way is to install the PSU first and plug it into the wall with the switch off. This grounds the entire case, and every time you touch it any build up will get sucked straight to ground.

    Other than that avoid touching the pins on anything, and watch out for cats. Its pretty hard to.fry something
  5. Does the case need to have the PSU in it and plugged in to discharge static Or can the case just be sitting on the counter with nothing in it?
  6. "technically" to ground through the case you need the power supply in and plugged into the wall, but turned off. The PSU would ground to the case and the ground in the power cable would truly ground you. However, I think a static discharge would still dissipate through anything conductive that is of any size. So just tapping the case with your fingers should be good.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Computer Systems