How To Avoid Static Electricity

terasuu

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012
I'm going to be build my computer within the next couple days and i am worried i'm going to ruin it. So, how can i avoid static electricity? I already decided im not going to get a anti-static wrist band.

I'm going to be building it in my kitchen that has Tile Flooring(Not sure what kind of tile) and Tile Counter tops(Not sure what kind of tile).

Just touch something metal before you start to discharge any static electricity build up. I'd wear shoes and not fuzzy bunny slippers, a fuzzy robe, and a sweater. No, but seriously, I have build and worked on so many computers and never had any issues. Unless you are working in a manufacturing facility, you don't have to go to any extremes. Just make sure you aren't going to static shock something when you touch it by just making sure to touch the computer chassis or something else metal that will discharge you.

Azn Cracker

Distinguished
Yea you should be fine on that surface. I built 2 computers on carpet with socks on and nothing happened. The first one has been kicking for 4 years!

Just touch the case or something metal before you touch any components to discharge electricity. I really dont think that wrist strap is necessary.

fancarolina

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009
Yea like the other two posters stated your being overly paranoid about it. Just don't go around on carpet like a little kid trying to create static electricity. Touching the case will discharge anything else. Your not really going ruin a part unless your really trying to create static electricity.

The standard way is to install the PSU first and plug it into the wall with the switch off. This grounds the entire case, and every time you touch it any build up will get sucked straight to ground.

Other than that avoid touching the pins on anything, and watch out for cats. Its pretty hard to.fry something

"technically" to ground through the case you need the power supply in and plugged into the wall, but turned off. The PSU would ground to the case and the ground in the power cable would truly ground you. However, I think a static discharge would still dissipate through anything conductive that is of any size. So just tapping the case with your fingers should be good.

Aug 7, 2018
Hard grounding things is not the way to go. Wrist straps have resistors built into the ends to allow static to dissipate slowly. This includes the straps that connect to the mains earth in professional assembly areas. Getting everything to the same potential is more important than absolute grounding. If you use the PC chassis as your work centre, touch the chassis as you pick the bags up and handle them to get them to the same potential as the case before unpacking the component and plug it in. Hold boards by the edges wherever possible. A good wrist strap makes this less clumsy.
Static electricity will build up more if the air is dry.
Static discharge can cause partial failures that don't kill parts but reduce their life.

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
"The standard way is to install the PSU first and plug it into the wall with the switch off. "

Why with the switch off? Can I ground myself if I touch the metal frame of the case when the PC is running? I am asking because I touch the case's metal frame few times and got shocks.