GTX 670 not hitting 120 FPS?

Hey there Tom's!

I have a recently built rig with an i5 and a 670. When I was running at 1080p, 60Hz, I was maxxing everything out, no sweat. I recently bought a new monitor, however - a 120HZ one, because I figured it'd make everything smoother.

Well here's the problem. In no modern game am I able to break barely above 100fps. Crysis 2, on ultra, was running smoothly at 55-60 fps - when I turned EVERYTHING down as far as it'll go to get more fps, it ran at 85-90fps.

Same with other games.

So here's my question: Is it just asking too much of the computer? Or is it the fact that the 670 has a low-ish memory bus? I was figuring to sell my 670 to a friend who wants it when the 8k Radeons come out - would they give me better performance for this sort of thing?

Solution

That will depend on the game. Some games have higher CPU requirements than others. I believe I hit over 100+ on Skyrim, Diablo 3 was a breeze to hit 120hz, same with Torchlight 1 & 2. I believe Crysis 2 was easy to hit high FPS on. I tend to play most my games in 3D, so I'm not sure about a lot of games.
Your problem will be two fold. It's not easy to reach 100+ FPS. A lot of the time, the CPU might bottleneck you, which may require an OC. And a single 670 is not going to be able to max out settings and achieve 100+ very often.

With 2, it is a lot easier, and you mostly only contend with CPU bottlenecks. I was noticing today, that with a single 680, Skyrim is much choppier than it was with 2 (the 2nd one is in the process of an RMA). To get it smoother required me to turn settings down a bit and Skyrim isn't a demanding game.

^My processor is overclocked nicely, and shouldn't be bottlenecking.

I understand that I'm not going to get 100+ frames a second on ultra with a single GPU, but... shouldn't a GTX 670 hit that with everything turned to low? The thing that's bothering me is there's no more than a 30fps difference between ultra, and everything as low as it can go.

(I mean, even in modern warfare 3 multiplayer, I wasn't breaking 80 - and that didn't matter whether it was on max or min... though that sounds like just a game issue.)

On low, your problem is the CPU. Most online games are hard to achieve 80+ FPS. Tracking the additional players, and internet requirements, put a lot of strain on the CPU. You see people all over complaining about low FPS online.

Okay, so that's an unrealistic expectation... Guess I'll be moving up to Haswell when it comes out.

What about the other bit, though? Is it unrealistic to expect high framerates from single player games at 1920x1080 and low settings? If so, I'm going to see if I can return this monitor...

That will depend on the game. Some games have higher CPU requirements than others. I believe I hit over 100+ on Skyrim, Diablo 3 was a breeze to hit 120hz, same with Torchlight 1 & 2. I believe Crysis 2 was easy to hit high FPS on. I tend to play most my games in 3D, so I'm not sure about a lot of games.

Solution