Ivy bridge vs 9800 gt

Hello,
I recently purchased new pc's for my 2 sons. I bought them kinda basic with the idea of upgrading later. They came running an Intel core I5-3450 Ivy bridge, Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H, Onboard Video, DVI&HDMI, X-Fire, SATA3, USB 3.0, GB LAN, 1TB WD Green SATA3 6GB/s 64m cache, 4GB DDR3 1600 ram, Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit.
I intend on adding a new graphics card in the coming months. However, in the meantime, would we get better results by using the onboard video or installing their old video cards which was a Nvidia 9800 GT?
They play a wide range of games from Terraria to BF3. I realize even on low settings, the BF3 will be almost unplayable. Is the 9800 just too old?
3 answers Last reply
More about bridge 9800
  1. 9800 GT any day.
  2. That CPU has HD2500 graphics, which is fairly weak compared to HD4000, which is pathetic compared to even budget graphics cards.

Use the 9800GT.
  3. ok, thanks for the replies. I installed one then ran the same games on each just to do an unofficial test. The 9800 does make a difference. They do struggle with the higher end games still, but that was expected. Thanks again.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems