wireless signal strength

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.development.device.drivers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.windows.developer.winfx.sdk (More info?)

Hello,

i want to query the signal strength of the nearby accesspoints on my
notebook.
I found out that i have to query the NDIS drivers, however the MSDN does not
offer smaple code how to do that (or i am to silly to find one).
I am working with visual c++. Can anyone tell me how to do that or can
anyone tell me a better solution?

sincerly,
Cristian

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.development.device.drivers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.windows.developer.winfx.sdk (More info?)

Try WMI, this is possibly the easiest way.

You can also try to send OID_802_11_RSSI to the kernel-mode components via
IOCTL_NDIS_QUERY_GLOBAL_STATS.

--
Maxim Shatskih, Windows DDK MVP
StorageCraft Corporation

"Christian Verdani" <c.verdani@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> i want to query the signal strength of the nearby accesspoints on my
> notebook.
> I found out that i have to query the NDIS drivers, however the MSDN does not
> offer smaple code how to do that (or i am to silly to find one).
> I am working with visual c++. Can anyone tell me how to do that or can
> anyone tell me a better solution?
>

> sincerly,
> Cristian

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.development.device.drivers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.windows.developer.winfx.sdk (More info?)

thanx,

can you tell me where i can find more detailed information?

"Maxim S. Shatskih" <maxim@storagecraft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Try WMI, this is possibly the easiest way.
>
> You can also try to send OID_802_11_RSSI to the kernel-mode components
> via
> IOCTL_NDIS_QUERY_GLOBAL_STATS.
>
> --
> Maxim Shatskih, Windows DDK MVP
> StorageCraft Corporation
> maxim@storagecraft.com
> http://www.storagecraft.com
>
> "Christian Verdani" <c.verdani@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> i want to query the signal strength of the nearby accesspoints on my
>> notebook.
>> I found out that i have to query the NDIS drivers, however the MSDN does
>> not
>> offer smaple code how to do that (or i am to silly to find one).
>> I am working with visual c++. Can anyone tell me how to do that or can
>> anyone tell me a better solution?
>>

>> sincerly,
>> Cristian

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.development.device.drivers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.windows.developer.winfx.sdk (More info?)

See DDK for OID_802_11_RSSI.

Download also Oidscope.exe aplication.
It simulates OID_802_11_RSSI.

Michael.

"Christian Verdani" <c.verdani@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> i want to query the signal strength of the nearby accesspoints on my
> notebook.
> I found out that i have to query the NDIS drivers, however the MSDN does
not
> offer smaple code how to do that (or i am to silly to find one).
> I am working with visual c++. Can anyone tell me how to do that or can
> anyone tell me a better solution?
>

> sincerly,
> Cristian

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.development.device.drivers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.windows.developer.winfx.sdk (More info?)

Hello,
i have fought throught the MSDN and a few web pages. now i have a solution,
hoever, i don't know how to extract the data from the result.

The code snipet looks like this:

hres = pSvc->ExecQuery(
bstr_t("WQL"), bstr_t("SELECT * FROM
MSNdis_80211_ReceivedSignalStrength Where active=true"),
WBEM_FLAG_FORWARD_ONLY | WBEM_FLAG_RETURN_IMMEDIATELY, NULL,
&pEnumerator);

IWbemClassObject *pclsObj;
ULONG uReturn = 0;

while (pEnumerator)
{
HRESULT hr = pEnumerator->Next(WBEM_INFINITE, 1, &pclsObj,
&uReturn); //WBEM_INFINITE

if(0 == uReturn)
{
cout << "Need to BREAK!" << endl;
break;
}

VARIANT vtProp;
VariantInit(&vtProp);

// Get the value of the Name property
hr = pclsObj->Get(L"Name", 0, &vtProp, 0, 0);
// wcout << " OS Name : " << vtProp.bstrVal << endl;

VariantClear(&vtProp);
}

is there any location that describes the results i get from my query?

sincerly,
christian
"Maxim S. Shatskih" <maxim@storagecraft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Try WMI, this is possibly the easiest way.
>
> You can also try to send OID_802_11_RSSI to the kernel-mode components
> via
> IOCTL_NDIS_QUERY_GLOBAL_STATS.
>
> --
> Maxim Shatskih, Windows DDK MVP
> StorageCraft Corporation
> maxim@storagecraft.com
> http://www.storagecraft.com
>
> "Christian Verdani" <c.verdani@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> i want to query the signal strength of the nearby accesspoints on my
>> notebook.
>> I found out that i have to query the NDIS drivers, however the MSDN does
>> not
>> offer smaple code how to do that (or i am to silly to find one).
>> I am working with visual c++. Can anyone tell me how to do that or can
>> anyone tell me a better solution?
>>

>> sincerly,
>> Cristian

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.development.device.drivers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.windows.developer.winfx.sdk (More info?)

Look at http://www.pcausa.com/Utilities/macaddr2.htm
Arkady

> thanx,
>
> can you tell me where i can find more detailed information?
>
> "Maxim S. Shatskih" <maxim@storagecraft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > Try WMI, this is possibly the easiest way.
> >
> > You can also try to send OID_802_11_RSSI to the kernel-mode
components
> > via
> > IOCTL_NDIS_QUERY_GLOBAL_STATS.
> >
> > --
> > Maxim Shatskih, Windows DDK MVP
> > StorageCraft Corporation
> > maxim@storagecraft.com
> > http://www.storagecraft.com
> >
> > "Christian Verdani" <c.verdani@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> i want to query the signal strength of the nearby accesspoints on my
> >> notebook.
> >> I found out that i have to query the NDIS drivers, however the MSDN
does
> >> not
> >> offer smaple code how to do that (or i am to silly to find one).
> >> I am working with visual c++. Can anyone tell me how to do that or can
> >> anyone tell me a better solution?
> >>

> >> sincerly,
> >> Cristian

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.development.device.drivers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev (More info?)

No, MSNdis_80211_ReceivedSignalStrength is the RSSI value of the
currently associated AP.
You need to get the scan list (SSIDs with their RSSI).
If you prefer using WMI, please search in the WMI newsgroups
( microsoft.public.windowsxp.wmi ...)

Or follow the advise of MVP Arkady Frenkel.

To interpret results of all these queries, you need description of
the 802_11 specific OIDs in the latest DDK documentation.
(if you haven't read it yet, do this now).

--PA

"Christian Verdani" <c.verdani@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:419daf91$0$25116$3b214f66@aconews.univie.ac.at...
> Hello,
> i have fought throught the MSDN and a few web pages. now i have a solution,
> hoever, i don't know how to extract the data from the result.
>
> The code snipet looks like this:
>

> hres = pSvc->ExecQuery(
> bstr_t("WQL"), bstr_t("SELECT * FROM
> MSNdis_80211_ReceivedSignalStrength Where active=true"),
> WBEM_FLAG_FORWARD_ONLY | WBEM_FLAG_RETURN_IMMEDIATELY, NULL,
> &pEnumerator);
>

> IWbemClassObject *pclsObj;
> ULONG uReturn = 0;
>
> while (pEnumerator)
> {
> HRESULT hr = pEnumerator->Next(WBEM_INFINITE, 1, &pclsObj,
> &uReturn); //WBEM_INFINITE
>
> if(0 == uReturn)
> {
> cout << "Need to BREAK!" << endl;
> break;
> }
>
> VARIANT vtProp;
> VariantInit(&vtProp);
>
> // Get the value of the Name property
> hr = pclsObj->Get(L"Name", 0, &vtProp, 0, 0);
> // wcout << " OS Name : " << vtProp.bstrVal << endl;
>
> VariantClear(&vtProp);
> }
>

> is there any location that describes the results i get from my query?
>

> sincerly,
> christian
> "Maxim S. Shatskih" <maxim@storagecraft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > Try WMI, this is possibly the easiest way.
> >
> > You can also try to send OID_802_11_RSSI to the kernel-mode components
> > via
> > IOCTL_NDIS_QUERY_GLOBAL_STATS.
> >
> > --
> > Maxim Shatskih, Windows DDK MVP
> > StorageCraft Corporation
> > maxim@storagecraft.com
> > http://www.storagecraft.com
> >
> > "Christian Verdani" <c.verdani@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> i want to query the signal strength of the nearby accesspoints on my
> >> notebook.
> >> I found out that i have to query the NDIS drivers, however the MSDN does
> >> not
> >> offer smaple code how to do that (or i am to silly to find one).
> >> I am working with visual c++. Can anyone tell me how to do that or can
> >> anyone tell me a better solution?
> >>

> >> sincerly,
> >> Cristian

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.development.device.drivers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev (More info?)

Maybe Cristian mean how to treat received value , in this case miniport have
to return it in
decibel milliwatts ( dBm ) and typical range are from -10 to -200
Arkady