Sign in with
Your question

Black Screen on startup after installing a theme

Last response: in Windows 7
March 2, 2012 5:21:33 AM

I was installing a new theme earlier tonight on my desktop. I got an error code when I installed the shell32.dll file but for some reason I chose to ignore it because most errors don't seem to do anything. When I restart my computer and I try to log in, the screen is black and I get an error code. I have fixed a problem similar to this when my explorer.exe file got corrupted. I went to Ctrl+Alt+Del then>Open task manager> and from there I could open chrome and download a new them installer etc but now I can't even open the task manager file because I get another error code. How on earth am I supposed to fix this shell32.dll file and get to my task manager without re-installing windows? Please help me Tom's Hardware!
a b $ Windows 7
March 2, 2012 6:02:31 AM

not sure what you mean by "theme" or why on earth you'd be messing with a DLL to install one but you most likely installed a virus since you don't know what you are doing. You can try a system restore, but it may not work.
m
l
March 2, 2012 7:20:28 AM

Can you boot into safe mode?
m
l
December 22, 2012 11:13:06 PM

this also happened to me...even if I boot into safe mode, nothing's change...I really don't know what to do...its not a virus related thing,
m
l
!