Upgrading my P7-1254 for better gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

haydenrust1

Honorable
Nov 12, 2012
Hey guys,
I have a P7-1254 (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c03135882) and I was wondering what i could/ should upgrade to be able to play mmo's such as SWTOR or GW2 on high quality or better. Preferably, I would like my upgrades to be the best price for my performance and a reasonable cost. Any ideas would be much appreciated!

Solution
Well, for starters, you've got a pretty modern PC. Means more compatibility, yay.

Okay, since you use an APU system, it can be Crossfired with some graphics cards to increase the performance. Your APU, A6-3620 support Radeon HD 6570. By upgrading to this card, you don't have to upgrade your 300W PSU.

But, the performance increase by using the Dual Graphics is negligible. Radeon HD 7750 is the most powerful graphics card without external power connector. My reccomendation is the 7750. You also don't have to upgrade your PSU.

acerace

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
Well, for starters, you've got a pretty modern PC. Means more compatibility, yay.

Okay, since you use an APU system, it can be Crossfired with some graphics cards to increase the performance. Your APU, A6-3620 support Radeon HD 6570. By upgrading to this card, you don't have to upgrade your 300W PSU.

But, the performance increase by using the Dual Graphics is negligible. Radeon HD 7750 is the most powerful graphics card without external power connector. My reccomendation is the 7750. You also don't have to upgrade your PSU.

Solution

haydenrust1

Honorable
Nov 12, 2012
Thank you so much for the help acerace! couple questions though. So i only need to upgrade my graphics card to a radeon hd 7750 to be able to play smoothly on high quality? There is nothing else I need to get? Also, is my apu good enough or should it be upgraded (if possible)?

acerace

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011

Well, it depends on your resolutions you're gaming at. 7750 cannot handle high quality gaming in Full HD. It's good for 1680x1050 and below. Higher than that, you have to turned down the graphical settings. Oh and for MMO, this card is fine.

Assuming your PSU is in well-state, no, you don't have to get anything else.

Your APU is a quad core, it should handle most games fine. You can upgrade it up to A8-3850, but I don't see any reason why you should, unless the existing APU is slowing you down.

And get the ASUS card, it has 1 GB GDDR5 memory which is plenty enough. The XFX one is a bit slower, might be because of it using GDDR3 memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.