Sign in with
Your question

Display driver stops then recovers

Tags:
  • Nvidia
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 13, 2012 6:24:52 AM

EVGA SuperClocked 01G-P3-1557-KR GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
I bought this card Feb. 2012, and its gave me nothing but issues, its really annoying, but the driver keeps on stopping and then recovering, i have the latest software installed 306.97, and still it does it, i have lowered the specs, i have redone my computer, ive uninstalled the software and started from beginning updates from the driver cd and reinstalled all of them with clean installs, and have tried driver cd and just jump to 306.97, ive dropped the direct x to 9 and put it back at 11, ive install the newest update for direct X, i lower the graphics of the video game and still it pops of "driver has stopped but windows has recovered it, im really puzzled can anyone please help me out?

and it just started doing it when im just surfing the web, screen flickers, goes black, then screen reappears a couple seconds later, the popup driver has stopped windows has recovered it and then i just continue doing what i was doing, i built this computer feb of 2012

but as far as gaming id have to say it started march 2012, but with gaming each game is different as far as what it does when the driver stops working, it is so annoying, and im running windows 7 64 bit. my specs...

MSI 890FXA-GD70 AM3+ AMD 890FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD FX-8120 Zambezi 3.1GHz Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core Desktop Processor black edition
EVGA SuperClocked GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 192-bit
Patriot Extreme Performance 16GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Rosewill LIGHTNING Series LIGHTNING-1000 1000W
APEVIA X-JUPITER S-Type Full Tower Computer Case

More about : display driver stops recovers

a b Î Nvidia
November 13, 2012 6:51:29 AM

The display driver failing is a sign of a bad overclock, which is possible since the card has a factory OC. Try using Precision X (which should have come with the card) to down-clock the card back to stock speeds.

These are the stock clocks.
Core Clock: 900Mhz
Shader Clock: 1800Mhz
Memory Clock: Depends, will either be 4000Mhz or 1000Mhz depending on how the software displays it.
m
l
November 13, 2012 7:14:44 AM

manofchalk said:
The display driver failing is a sign of a bad overclock, which is possible since the card has a factory OC. Try using Precision X (which should have come with the card) to down-clock the card back to stock speeds.

These are the stock clocks.
Core Clock: 900Mhz
Shader Clock: 1800Mhz
Memory Clock: Depends, will either be 4000Mhz or 1000Mhz depending on how the software displays it.

stupid question-where do i access the shader clock, cuz it doesnt appear

power target isnt set so thats 0%

gpu clock is set at 981 mhz so ill set it to 900mhz

memory clock is set at 2257 mhz so ill set it to 1000 or 4000mhz ?

i turned on fan curve auto, but didnt mess with the settings, it sits at 40% at the moment and sync is check marked, and i have ver 3.0.4, im a noob to precision x
m
l
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
November 13, 2012 7:20:56 AM

The Shader Clock is tied to the Core Clock, I suspect it will move according to the Core.
There might be a setting somewhere that will reveal it though.

You can also use MSI Afterburner to do this, I find it is a much easier tool to use than Precision X.
m
l
November 24, 2012 10:40:42 PM

i had the same problem start for me around march, the problem I found was nvidia sets the default fan speed to 20%, then it auto ramps up,depending on room temp and air flow and such the 20% may not be enough for a overclocked card(evga card), then wen you go into a game it ramps up fine, bu if you leave the game it jumps back down to 20%. which may not be enough for the still hot gpu chipset. my fix was to install ntune, manually set it to 100% and let it go . so far right now it has not crashed on my for over week.i found on another site where i go this fix people were have the dirver also crash on firefox,as there is a use hardware acceleration checkbox for it,so you are web surfing and you got the error. got this on 4,5,6 series cards,vista win7, 32 64 bit. but not xp for some reason. i use ntune to set my fan at 100% and no problems since evga gtx 480.
m
l
!