Sign in with
Your question

Msi twin frozr gtx 680 2gb OC vs Gigabyte 7970 3gb OC

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 13, 2012 7:32:52 AM

Hello, i'm getting my first custom desk top and for the same price i can get a msi twin frozr gtx 2gb OC (http://www.msi.com/product/vga/N680GTX-Twin-Frozr-2GD5-...) with a 3570k or a Gigabyte 7970 3gb windforce OC (http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=...) with a 3770k. Which would be the best for gaming?

Not sure if it makes a difference but the 3570k comes with a corsair H-60 liquid cooler while the 3770k comes with a corsair H-100 liquid cooler.

Thanks
a b U Graphics card
November 13, 2012 7:53:20 AM

1080p and over the 7970 tends to do better. lower resolutions the gtx680 tends to do better
m
l
a c 186 U Graphics card
November 13, 2012 8:31:36 AM

Hmmm... why not get the Vapor - X ? If not then i would go with the twin frozr
m
l
Related resources
a c 170 U Graphics card
November 13, 2012 8:43:55 AM

There are PROS and CONS to each. In general I recommend NVidia (PhysX, Adaptive Vsync, TXAA for future AA, GPU Boost, default Video Settings screw up video quality when Hardware accelerated and most be turned off).

Both cards are nice though.

- I'm not a fan (hah) of liquid cooling. The pumps often start making too much noise. Even the two you mention. If possible I recommend a good CPU Heatsink/Fan combo instead.

- Do you get the THREE FREE GAMES COUPON when you get the HD7970? You should ask about that.

- there's very little advantage to the 3770K for gaming but your build options seem limited

*I'm surprised you don't BUILD your own rig. It's cheaper, and when a part fails you don't have to send the whole computer back. It's also FUN.
m
l
November 13, 2012 9:35:10 AM

photonboy said:
There are PROS and CONS to each. In general I recommend NVidia (PhysX, Adaptive Vsync, TXAA for future AA, GPU Boost, default Video Settings screw up video quality when Hardware accelerated and most be turned off).

Both cards are nice though.

- I'm not a fan (hah) of liquid cooling. The pumps often start making too much noise. Even the two you mention. If possible I recommend a good CPU Heatsink/Fan combo instead.

- Do you get the THREE FREE GAMES COUPON when you get the HD7970? You should ask about that.

- there's very little advantage to the 3770K for gaming but your build options seem limited

*I'm surprised you don't BUILD your own rig. It's cheaper, and when a part fails you don't have to send the whole computer back. It's also FUN.

My options are rather limited. I live in South Africa and it is difficult to get components here, at least for prices that are reasonable. The only people i have found who i could get components from are the same people who would build this computer, and somehow the price of the build is considerably lower than the price of all the components together (i suspect witchcraft).

If i went for the 680, for the same price i could get a Noctua NH-D14 fan instead of a H-60.

And no 3 free games coupon is offered.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 13, 2012 6:12:49 PM

the two cards are pretty even unless you are gaming in high resolutions, then the 7970 edges it out. honestly, i would just go with whichever one is cheaper. the nvidia gimmicks dont really mean much. physx is next to useless. adaptive vsync is alright.

edit: oh, except the coolers. the msi twin frozer does have a nicer cooler than the gigabyte one. definately worth considering.
m
l
!