Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Suggest replacement if needed please ...amd fx 4100 + hd 7850

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 13, 2012 7:38:39 AM

guyz im totally new here ,please respond

**i got a new pc ( assembled ) 1) AMd fx 4100 black edition quadcore 2)8gb corsair ram 3) 1tb 4)coolermaster glite 310 cabin and 500 psu thunder and
** amd saphhire hd radeon 7850 2gb gddr5

got the pc 2 days back here comes the real problem: i heared from several reviews and even some of my friends that this cpu is not good and it bottlenecks my gpu ,i wonder what is the mechanism and im here to take your technical advice.

please help me if i have to replace my processor and motherboard ,i installed only devil may cry 4 and im getting a 60 fps,dont know whether to continue with this thing

need help :(  sorry for my noobness i dont know a thing xcept playing games cause im on the other stream(mbbs)

need your help asap guyz ,
November 13, 2012 7:47:40 AM

I wouldn't say it would bottleneck you. It's not the fastest proc but it's certainly not that bad.

You should be able to house most of the FX series of processors if you wanted an upgrade but I would first upgrade your noname PSU.
Score

Best solution

a b À AMD
November 13, 2012 7:51:14 AM

The CPU isnt good in that there are much better options at its pricepoint, but it wont perform that badly.

While Devil May Cry isnt the most graphically or CPU intensive game, if your getting 60FPS that's great. That the max FPS you can have while Vsync is enabled (keep it on unless you have a 120hz monitor).

If the machine is performing adequately in what you want, there is no need to upgrade or change anything.
EDIT: Except maybe the PSU. That should be changed to something more reliable.
Related resources
November 13, 2012 8:05:59 AM

I agree with Manofchalk. If the PC does everything you want then there is no need to upgrade. Don't upgrade based on what your mate uses his PC for.
Score
November 13, 2012 8:06:30 AM

my psu is cooler master smps thunder 500 w!!
Score
a b À AMD
November 13, 2012 8:15:54 AM

Maybe a PSU change isnt needed then. While Coolermaster isnt the greatest name in PSU units, they at least have a reputation as a budget brand rather than a horrible one.
Score
November 13, 2012 8:17:14 AM

A Coolermaster PSU shouldn't blow up at least. It will also handle a cpu upgrade if you do decide to get one
Score
November 13, 2012 8:38:29 AM

your cpu is good enough to power a hd 7850.in my freinds system he has a gtx 560ti with that cpu and he dont have any performance issues.whats your resolution?1080p?if yes then u r not getting any bad fps btw over 45 fps the game is playable.there is no cpu bottlenecking
Score
November 13, 2012 8:48:19 AM

Bottlenecking is when the GPU usage isn't reaching high percentage and you suffer low framerates.

For example is you were getting 20 fps but your GPU usage was only at 40%
Score
November 13, 2012 2:08:57 PM

thanks guyz really worthy info,il continue with my system and try other games :) 
Score
November 13, 2012 2:15:24 PM

Best answer selected by abhijan.
Score
a b À AMD
November 13, 2012 2:18:29 PM

CM PSUs are near-junk, especially at the low end. Don't count on it for more than 430W; monitor the temperature of the air coming out of it during a long gaming session. It may also be missing claimed protection circuits (some of their low-end are). Short answer, I'd suggest replacing it with a quality unit. Five hundred watts is enough, but choose a quality brand like Seasonic, XFX, Antec, FSP, or Enermax/LEPA.
While I wouldn't buy a FX-4100 myself, if your games are running to your satisfaction, then I'd leave it alone.
Score
November 13, 2012 2:31:37 PM

darth pravus said:
Bottlenecking is when the GPU usage isn't reaching high percentage and you suffer low framerates.

For example is you were getting 20 fps but your GPU usage was only at 40%

thanks man my card is fine from what you said,what is the normal heating range for a card and what signs should
make me worried based on my config !
Score
November 13, 2012 2:57:40 PM

Onus said:
CM PSUs are near-junk, especially at the low end. Don't count on it for more than 430W; monitor the temperature of the air coming out of it during a long gaming session. It may also be missing claimed protection circuits (some of their low-end are). Short answer, I'd suggest replacing it with a quality unit. Five hundred watts is enough, but choose a quality brand like Seasonic, XFX, Antec, FSP, or Enermax/LEPA.
While I wouldn't buy a FX-4100 myself, if your games are running to your satisfaction, then I'd leave it alone.

il change my psu then,what about this processor should i replace it with i5 3rd gen? store keeper compromised me with all those specs like 3.6 ghz speed and 4 cores and 12mb cache ...but got to know later that this actually is merely dual core with 2 sub cores and also that amd scAle of calculating the speed/frequency is a way smaller when compared with intel. !!
Score
November 13, 2012 3:38:09 PM

64.7 FPS uniengine heaven 1920, 4xMSAA, 4xAF with the X3-455 in the below rig; A 4100 definitely won't bottleneck a 7850 :) 

enjoy!
Score
!