MEMORY Corsair Vengeance Red 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 2133 MHz $65
MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H-WB $268
GRAPHICS VTX3D Radeon HD7950 X-Edition Boost 3GB $300
CASE CoolerMaster Centurion 5 II Black $65
PSU CoolerMaster GX 650W PSU $95
STORAGE Samsung 840 250GB $200
OPTICALDRIVE Samsung SH-222BB SATA DVDRW Drive OEM $19
OS Windows 7 Premium, Service Pack 1, 64-bit $99

first time doing this, are there any sections i should either upgrade or downgrade? All up this is $1,371

G

Well, i tried to reproduce your build the best i could cos prices seemed a bit off to me, specially the motherboard, my total was $1235.88
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/zn9
(case is different cos they didnt have that model but i picked a popular one for the same price)

my suggestion would be to get a HDD for storage.

gussrtk

Honorable
To start off... the most important question is;

1. Heavy Gaming or occasional?
2. Are you planning to overclock? - This changes things.... a lot.
3. www.newegg.com has some better prices than what you listed. Check it out
---------------------------------------------------------------------

CPU: Your CPU is good. People may tell you to go with 2500k or 2550k but clock for clock the 3570k is faster (basically when both cpu are set to same clock speed the 3570k is still faster lolz) But it does create more heat than the 2500 series. So you will need good cooling

COOLER: The CPU cooler has good review, I personally go for something more in the 80$ range when I buy my coolers... Either way it does not look like a bad choice.

IF you overclock, I suggest the Corsair h80 or h100 if you have the budget.

RAM: I dont think you need the 2133mhz ram, BUT .. THE PRICE IS RIGHT ;)
for most things you dont even need more than 8gb so that's good.

MoBo: not a bad choice, I personally like Asus. Im doing a new build as well, and I took the Asus Maximus Formula V.

If you are overclocking, the gigabyte is ok, but if you do NOT wish to... then you could save 100$ or so by going with a more standard mobo.

GPU: Your choice looks pretty good, but ppl will tell you to go with 660ti. I say... GO WITH the 7950 ;)

Although I would rather take the Gigabyte 7950 it comes with 3 year warranty and 3x cooling fans. Good gaming/overclocking set.

Case: I'd say.... find a FULL TOWER. the video card is going to be HUGE, and the CPU cooler is TALL.... cramping that much stuff into a small case does not make much sense, although you can probably do it. More popular one for this is the CoolerMaster HAF tower....
i got coolermaster Trooper... HOLY *** iTS SO COOL xD. Also if you have front USB ports on it.... make sure you get 3.0 usb since everything is going to move forward.

PSU: I suggest you get a MODULAR cable PSU. one of the cheaper options is OCZ OCZ-ZT650W ZT or maybe you could find another brand i just gave an example. I had an OCZ PSU. it never gave me problems but died after 3.5years. if you look at Corsair PSU they give a long warranty but they are pricey.

but the 650watt should be enough for your build. And the modular cables will make your case look neat and easy to manage.

STORAGE: I guess you can't go wrong with the SSD. BUT look up some tweaking for it (basically how it writes information and so on).

OS: you may be able to find some on special at this time of year, like a Win8 im talking about. From what ive heard, i did not research this, the win8 has a newer directX available which will make your investment last longer, since newer games later on will be supported better.

gussrtk

Honorable

I was going to take an SSD as well. But I ended up just going for a WD velociraptor 10,000RPM hdd

PS. i forgot to mention in above post. You need to get a GOOD thermal grease to go in between the CPU and Cooler, that's something that could make quite a difference in heat. Arctic Silver is good.

ndowner

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
this is exactly what i needed, thank you so much dude/dudette

well i spose if occasional gaming was 1, heavy gaming was 10 i'd say i would use this around a 6 or 7

yes i am planning to overclock

thank you for suggesting the site

and i've seen reviews and people using windows 8, it has sort of turned me off it, but i suppose you raise a valid point

gussrtk

Honorable

I know what you mean with win8 reviews, I had the same thing. I'm still getting win8, although you could just go for the win7 it aint like tomorrow its going to be out dated. Just that I'm looking forward since I do a build only every 4 years about.

my build:

i5 - 3570k
Cooler- H100 corsair
Mobo - Asus Maximus Formula v
Ram - Corsair Dominator 2x8gb (leave 2 slots open for later upgrade)
PSU - Corsair AX850
GPU - Gigabyte 7970 OC
Storage - 1TB Velociraptor HDD
Case - Coolermaster Trooper

ndowner

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
yeah about 22" , nothing TOO big, the first link you sent me looks pretty good!

thanks for all the help dude, much, MUCH appreciated

gussrtk - the Ivy Bridge CPUs in fact produce less heat yet run hotter. Heat is a difficult concept for many.
-Bruce
EDIT what has more heat:
1. red hot pin point
2. liter of boiling water.
pin is much hotter and has less heat.

gussrtk

Honorable
if you have the budget... i would go for 7970. But then we're really kind of expanding already the price quite a bit from the 1300, especially after full size case and h80/h100 cpu cooling. but that's just my last thought. Also when you get a full size case (or more expensive) they do come with fans and so on so that you dont have to spend on that in the end.

just so you know im not saying the 7950 is bad. it's just a last thought.