Sign in with
Your question

Which Sound Card? (NOT 4 month old post)

Last response: in Components
December 28, 2001 5:45:45 PM

Which Sound card for a 5.1 speaker setup? Quality is important to me, but I refuse to spend more than $120 on a sound card.

System:
SOLTEK MOBO
Athlon XP 1700+
Radeon 8500
D-Link 10/100 Network Card

More about : sound card month post

December 28, 2001 5:50:48 PM

What are you going to be doing with it?

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
Anonymous
December 28, 2001 6:57:47 PM

Contrary to popular belif, i recommend the SB Audigy MP3+/Gamer. For $99 (some stores offering $20 rebate) I have had it for 2 days now, upgraded to WinXP (look at my other 2 threads), and the sould clarity and quality of the EAX Audio over the AWE series has been amazing.

Now I do not have a 5.1 Digital Setup, I have 4 15" Rockford Fosgate woofers on the floor corners, 2 Acoustic Research 12" Floor standing speakers on stands around me, and 4 Ceiling mounted KLH indoor outdoor speakers up top, running tonto a 475Watt Sony STR-D865 Audio/Video Control Center. It is not digital, but the Analog quality of the sound is that good, i can only imagine how digital output must sound.

Of note, the Audigy card does use 3 IRQ's, (1 for Windows Sound, 1 for the SB1394 Firewire COntroller, and 1 for Legacy), but you can turn off 2 of them like i did if you are squeezing for IRQ's.

Plus I have (in the last 25 mins) heard from a Rep of mine at Creative Labs who has been overseeing Driver development. According to her, there are 4 driver updates on the table for release (WinXP Official, Win98se/Me, Linux, and an update for BEos (got to love that multimedia OS)... Look for them in the next 2 weeks.

Chris
Related resources
December 28, 2001 7:54:49 PM

Quote:
Plus I have (in the last 25 mins) heard from a Rep of mine at Creative Labs who has been overseeing Driver development. According to her, there are 4 driver updates on the table for release (WinXP Official, Win98se/Me, Linux, and an update for BEos (got to love that multimedia OS)... Look for them in the next 2 weeks.

That would be very nice. If Creative gets back on top of their drivers, it'll make all the difference in their products. We'll see what happens.

BTW, Locke was an awesome character in FF3. I didn't notice your name before. I still need to finish that. Hmm...need to finish reviewing the two Aureal Vortex 2's I've got sitting on my desk, too. AARRGGHHH!! :) 

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
December 29, 2001 7:30:50 PM

Refer to my Caveats if the card doesn't like your system, they put it in a system it agrees with. A full review in XP compared to 98SE would be usefull, since I didn't do much with mine in XP except check for basic functionality.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
January 2, 2002 6:52:32 PM

Wha-?
I missed something.

January 2, 2002 10:25:47 PM

The Vortex 2's your testing, it would be nice to see you compare operation under 98SE to XP, to see if MS's driver has all the features enabled. When I tested XP on my system, I never got around to reviewing all the details on their driver, I simply noticed that it worked (on all four speakers) and performed some system test. When I got to the point of not being able to run some programs (after noticing dramatically slower gaming performance, getting P.O.'d about my modem not working, etc.), I switched back to 98SE without further testing.
The caveats were that there were no finished Win2k drivers, and that it doesn't work right on certain VIA chipsets under certain configurations (do to a problem with VIA's PCI bus).

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
January 2, 2002 11:47:39 PM

Can we choice
No
It's only CREATIVE

I Believe I Can Fly
January 3, 2002 8:40:12 PM

Ah, ok. Your post just seemed to come out of left field.

Anonymous
January 4, 2002 9:01:59 PM

Aureal Vortex + XP i'm ok with that

IntelMan
!