Status
Not open for further replies.
A better question is what games will my dual-core CPU struggle to play?

Generally, as long as you don't spend more than 150% of what your CPU is worth, you won't have trouble with it holding back that GPU. Based on this, you're probably looking at an HD 7850 or GTX 660 being the least expensive cards where you'll start to see bottlenecking.

I'd suggest a GTX 650Ti or HD 7770 unless you're planning on a platform upgrade soon.

ProVisionOman

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012
I am actually getting a whole new rig with a 3930k and will wait for the 8970. So I have this machine that I am using now, so I want to get the BEST possible graphics card without bottlenecking. Price isn't an issue.. As I have 1000$ just for a GPU and a 3930k :)

Edit: And I will use it with a Corsair 430w. Specs:
(CPU)
4GB 1600MHZ RAM
HD 5450
Generic dell PSU
1080p monitor (SA350)
Some dell motherboard and case.
If you want further information its a pre-built Dell PC. The Optiplex 780.

unoriginal1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012

Any specific reason your wanting to go with a 3930k? If it's just for gaming you'd be better off going with a 3570K and spending more on a gpu... Just my opinion but a $550 cpu is not worth the cash you'll spend on it for gaming alone.

+1

It's really not any better than the $220 i5-3570K in games.

For games at 1080p, the best GPU you should need is a GTX 670, but you could go ahead and get an HD 7970 GHz Edition. Or wait on the flagship Radeon of the next gen. Either way, if you need a card now, just buy whatever you want - your CPU will slow it down, but you'll still get a good gaming experience.

ProVisionOman

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012

Well yes but I am no newbie please. My reasons are:
1- I am 12 years old.. So my PC upgrade potential is controlled by my Dad. He says no upgrades. Only new system after 5 YEARS. So I can't change anything in it for 5 years.
2- I love video editing. I use: After Effects, Photoshop Vegas and Element 3D (I know it's After Effects but oh well).
And question. Should I get this 3930k or wait till IVB-E/Haswell?? I WILL be overclocking with my Water2.0 Extreme.. So it's NOT gonna be modest. Planning for the 3930k maybe 4.8~5.2 GHZ with power saving and turbo boost on. So I don't know if IVB-E and Haswell will have the same heat issues with the original Ivy Bridge had. Thanks!

unoriginal1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012

You can expect the same heat issues. But ivy bridge bridge is still about 6% (faster) more efficient than sandy. 4.2(ivy) = 4.5-4.6(sandy)

Right on with the video editing. In my opinion I'd still go with just an i7 then (3770K) You can still get your OC and benefits for your video editing. Use the other $200 towards the GPU. But... Then again if you have a large budget and your dad is allowing you to spend enough to do both. Then good for you ;). Good luck with your build have fun :).

unoriginal1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012

Where did you hear this? Speculation? ;). You won't fry anything..(it's more likely it just won't start and require a cmos reset) The highest clock on an ivy bridge i know of is 7.03. Granted liquid nitrogen had to be used to keep it cool but the point is that you can achieve higher OC's if cooled properly. Ive seen good water cooled systems achieve as high as 4.9 clocks on the ivy bridge chips.

Besides.. What in the world would you use a 5.2 ghz clock for? I get the enthusiast part of it. But it's really all just a big pissing contest.

Status
Not open for further replies.