Sign in with
Your question

TV for gaming

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 13, 2012 9:27:01 AM

Hi guys!

so i've build a new rig witch features a GTX680 dCU2top and a i7 3820, the next thing I am aiming for is a solution for the following problem. My room is kinda small and i have bot a 32 inch tv ( low res 1366x768) and my 17 inch monitor (dont laugh i wasnt swimming in cash back then :lol:  ) . Now im looking for a somewhere around the 40-50 inch area for a TV that i can also use as a Monitor, keep in mind im a gamer. So i was wondering if you guys could point me in the right direction , Thnx a lot

More about : gaming

November 13, 2012 9:31:49 AM

TV's are kinda bad for gaming. Mostly because even 1080p will seem pixelated.
a b 4 Gaming
November 13, 2012 9:31:52 AM

Why do you want to use a tv? How much are you looking to spend? Maybe you should take a look at a Catleap or Achieva 2560x1440 27" monitor. I know that's on my Christmas list.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
November 13, 2012 9:33:08 AM

Well, how far away is your TV/Monitor going to be away from you?
November 13, 2012 9:33:35 AM

arent there any UBER sharpness and stuff like that TV's out there? im not that well informed on TV's but doesnt the contrast ration make them seem sharper ? or is this just a dumb question? :) )
November 13, 2012 9:34:05 AM

about 3-4 feet i reckon,
a b 4 Gaming
November 13, 2012 10:06:43 AM

That's too close for a tv. You are going to be seeing the lines on the screen.
November 13, 2012 10:19:29 AM

i game on plasmas. From my experience i don’t notice any pixels. Nowhere near what these guys are saying.

Take it from me, stay clear of lcd tvs (i know, i've been there and wasnt impressed - like playing in water) and go plasma if you want quicker response times (faster than monitors mind you 0<ms). If you’re not fussed about any delay between your screen and keyboard/mouse than either will do.

Can easily pickup Panasonic Viera 50" for around a grand these days.

I sit 2 1/2 feet away from this 50" im using, i see tiny tiny tiny dots if i look for them but during game play, no, don’t see them.

The other rig uses 60" viera and sit about 5ft away still pixels aren’t a bother.

Nothing wrong with my eye sight!
November 13, 2012 10:25:16 AM

This is not a good idea imo. The gtx 680 would be a waste if only used for 720p gaming... hd 6670 can do 720p max for crying out loud.. 50 inches 1080p will show big pixels at that distance. Just get a good 27" monitor.. also the refresh rate of most tvs will be just 60.. make sure you get 120hz. Id suggest you get something like this

http://www.samsung.com/sg/consumer/pc-peripherals-print...
a b 4 Gaming
November 13, 2012 10:33:27 AM

well, there are all those 4K TVs coming out this year :D 
November 13, 2012 11:36:30 AM

arnoldlouie said:
This is not a good idea imo. The gtx 680 would be a waste if only used for 720p gaming... hd 6670 can do 720p max for crying out loud.. 50 inches 1080p will show big pixels at that distance. Just get a good 27" monitor.. also the refresh rate of most tvs will be just 60.. make sure you get 120hz. Id suggest you get something like this

The tv he’s using atm is 720p, he's looking for a new tv and at a bigger size. The ideal resolution for a bigger tv is 1080p and i think Vlad Prodan knows that. Also i say again, pixels aren’t a problem. You might mean ghosting blocks on lcds, but plasmas, couldnt pickem, crystal clear, anywhere, anytime.

He wants a TV to probably do other things as well so a small 27" 120hz monitor is probably not the direction he wants - keep in mind his room is small as to have multiple displays TV + Monitor. Seeing he’s used to 60hz anyway, realistically it isn’t going to be a problem.

To have a TV do both and look amazing for where he sits and play games, it’s a positive thing.

November 13, 2012 11:59:29 AM

boju said:
I sit 2 1/2 feet away from this 50" im using, i see tiny tiny tiny dots if i look for them but during game play, no, don’t see them.

I find this quite hard to believe. As an owner of a 51" Samsung 1080p plasma there is no way that you can sit 2 1/2 feet from it and not see pixels or even game conveniently in that manner. You'd be moving your head constantly to see anything!
November 13, 2012 12:06:08 PM

yea the issue is that i really want to free up some space in this room and wanted to get rid of the TV+monitor issue by getting a big ass screen and fitting it to the wall or something (1080p ofc) that could serve as my tv and pc monitor at the same time. Kinda hard to find one of theese things lol, at first i tryed to just get a 30 inch monitor but that sadly doesnt cover it because the monitor doesnt have the connection for my TV cable , and lets be honest 30 is too small for a tv, i just need something big enough for a TV and good enough for a gaming monitor,
November 13, 2012 12:15:01 PM

dlux said:
I find this quite hard to believe. As an owner of a 51" Samsung 1080p plasma there is no way that you can sit 2 1/2 feet from it and not see pixels or even game conveniently in that manner. You'd be moving your head constantly to see anything!

As much as you're right and funny about it, i actually love it :)  Its what makes it immersive, im actually looking around as if im there :)  I dunno, wish yous could be here to lan with me and see :) 
November 13, 2012 12:22:27 PM

Its a different story however when clicking something in say internet or some other application menu going from top to bottom of screen, then it can be annoying lol, but that’s not anything for me to be concerned about. I know what i got it for and that’s to play games mostly.

Need to correct myself and sorry, tv im using @ 2 1/2feet is 42" not 50", i was thinking about another tv in the house. D:
November 13, 2012 1:13:14 PM

boju said:
As much as you're right and funny about it, i actually love it :)  Its what makes it immersive, im actually looking around as if im there :)  I dunno, wish yous could be here to lan with me and see :) 

I'll go home and try it tonight. Give it a whirl. :) 
a b 4 Gaming
November 15, 2012 11:29:09 AM

Vlad ProDAN said:
yea the issue is that i really want to free up some space in this room and wanted to get rid of the TV+monitor issue by getting a big ass screen and fitting it to the wall or something (1080p ofc) that could serve as my tv and pc monitor at the same time. Kinda hard to find one of theese things lol, at first i tryed to just get a 30 inch monitor but that sadly doesnt cover it because the monitor doesnt have the connection for my TV cable , and lets be honest 30 is too small for a tv, i just need something big enough for a TV and good enough for a gaming monitor,

I'll try and actuially be helpful this time:

1) There is a resolution consideration with computers. Games can look great on 720p... but websites and other programs need more pixels to have proper spacing and size. Any 1080p TV will have enough pixels to accomplish this. 4K would be better... but I am going to go out on a limb and assume you are not made of money, and that 4K is simply out of the budget.

2) For size, again, there are special considerations with TV's. This time the issue is text. Games use nice big font sizes, which are easy to see from a distance, or on screens with lower resolutions. Programs do not. You are going to need to get a TV large enough to comfortably read from across the room (or however far away you are setting). Keep in mind that bigger is not always better. Make text too big and the brain will start masking text out. It is a really weird issue that you learn about if you ever take a class in typography. I cannot remember the exact rules, but you basically need your text to fit within a certain range of size in order to read naturally. Also, remember that Windows has some scaling effects which can help you find the best text size. It will not help with text in every program, but it will help a lot.

3) Consider the display technology your are considering: Plasma looks amazing for games and movies due to it's high contrast ratio. However, plasma is NOT usually the best way to go. If you are going to do a lot of web browsing, that high contrast is going to give you a fair amount of eye strain. Also, static images will burn into the screen, which can get pretty severe if left unchecked. Thankfully this is not as big of a deal as it once was, but if you leave a plasma TV on a static image all day because someone leaves the TV on (especially an image with bright colors) then it will leave an after image which can take days or weeks to get rid of. As the TV gets older and dimmer (yes, plasma TVs still suffer from this) then it will get harder and harder to get rid of these after images until you will simply have to replace it. Due to these issues I would not suggest a plasma unless you are going to be gaming or movie watching 90+% of the time, and you go in understanding that PC use will shorten the life span of a plasma display by a few years at least.
The other option is LCD or LED screens. These use the same type of panels found in computer monitors, and make for much clearer text, more accurate color, no burn-in (you can leave a static image on there for days without issue), and LED screens have great whites, and should not have the dimming issues over time found in the Plasma screens, or even traditional LCD screens. But you are giving up the amazing high contrast ratio, and they are more prone to things like ghosting compared to plasma because the pixels simply cannot change their state between colors as quickly as a plasma screen can. Also, pictures and games will simply not look as natural because of the move from 'organic' shaped pixels found in most plasmas, compared to the 'square' or 'rectangular' pixels found in LED/LCD panels. I would say that LED is the way to go as it is the best compromise between technologies (especially if you can afford one with localized dimming which helps with black levels and contrast).
The 3rd option is to get a projector. Projectors and computers are awesome together. Things look big and sharp even with oversized screens and low res projectors. Text looks clear, and images can look spectacular on a DLP projector. The drawbacks? projectors suck a lot of power, have fan noise, force you to do a little work mounting the projector and screen, the bulbs die and it can be difficult to find replacements (always buy 2-3 replacement bulbs right away so you have a few on hand), and if you are not in an area where you can control the light then it is simply not an option. Still, if you can do it, then it is pretty awesome, just remember that DLP is the way to go and LCD projectors are awful for your type of use.

4) Frame rate vs Refresh rate. The refresh rate of a TV is not exactly the same thing as the frame rate of a TV. Refresh rate is something found on LCD panels because they cannot change images as quickly as plasma panels. So the idea was that if they lowered the threshold of what it takes to make a pixel glow, then they can have that pixel change it's state quicker. That is great, except that then on a TV (which is natively 30fps) then you would end up with a weird strobe light effect as the lower power causes the pixels to dim prematurely. The solution? Frame duplication! So they display a 30fps source for 2 frames instead of one, and then up the clock so that 2 display cycles at 60Hz equals the time needed to display TV sources of 30fps. But there is a problem. Not every source is 30fps. Movies can be anywhere from 18-24fps, and these frame rates do not devide evenly into 30 or 60Hz, and so you end up with issues of jearky pans, zooms, and action scenes, so TV companies came up with some interesting technologies to try and smooth this out a bit.... but with limited success.
The solution? up the refresh rate some more! There are a lot of film standards that can divide nicely into 120Hz, and just about everything divides well into 240Hz, so these become ideal for movie watching as the TV can duplicate as many frames as needed to make for a smooth viewing experience. But now you want to hook a computer to the TV, and you come to the main difference between a computer monitor, which is dumb and simply displays what the computer gives it, and a TV which is constantly taking the image it is given and trying to duplicate frames and do other contrast and image filtering/fixing which can actually hurt the image quality given from a computer, or introduce lag time between input and display which you simply do not get on a computer monitor (well... it is there on a computer monitor... just much shorter than on a TV). The solution? Make sure you can get a TV where you can turn all of that intelligence off. There are a bunch of different names for this, but it is typically a 'game mode' of one sort or another, which turns off all the filtering so that games are more responsive. Depending on how picky you are this can be a huge deal (I personally find it unacceptable), while others never notice the lag and image changes introduced by a TV, but it would still be better to find a TV where you have the control over it to be able to turn these features on and off easily.

Hope that helps! Sadly I do not know what TVs in specific at the moment are best for PC use as my own setup is a 28" monitor on a coffee table next to the couch, which I found to be the best compromise between TV and computer use (and price as monitors were WAY cheaper than HDTVs at the time). They make monitors with TV inputs, and they make adapters that can take a TV input to display on a monitor, but I have not messed with these as my display is 16:10 ratio and stretches 16:9 sources when I do this, so I simply download whatever I want to watch. But I understand that some people are not as willing as I am to wait for the availability of a show, and like to watch TV live, so my solution would not exactly work for them.
a b 4 Gaming
November 15, 2012 11:31:00 AM

boju said:

Nothing wrong with my eye sight!

If you sit less than 5 feet away from a 50" TV (even at 1080p) and cannot see the pixels then there is most definitely something wrong with your eye sight!
November 15, 2012 12:07:57 PM

5 feet away on the lounge pc using a 65" plasma and dude its fantastic playing games.

I do have Bluetooth keyboard and mouse which I occasionally use to sit on the sofa with. But in some games the detail (ie gta 4 radar) can still be too tiny to read from another 5 feet away, so I have a chair and fold up table to sit closer. With proper surround and large viewing, id say i would be having more fun than you, and oh yea sound is just as important.

Another uses 42" plasma, typing this crap sitting 2 1/2 feet away ( I did correct myself btw, look above) And as i have explained i CAN see tiny dots at this distance, though i repeat very small and more noticeable with a white background but is a small price to pay as they vanish when playing games.

Needless to say, both are awesome and unless you try yourself you’re going to continue arguing from a text book.

:) 

November 15, 2012 12:15:07 PM

And just so if you're wondering how the 50" came about, I replaced it with the 65 and gave it to my sister.
a b 4 Gaming
November 15, 2012 12:28:19 PM

boju said:
And just so if you're wondering how the 50" came about, I replaced it with the 65 and gave it to my sister.

funny thing... we weren't wondering.
November 15, 2012 12:38:25 PM

Look, I don't want to make an enemy here you seem like a nice guy and your detailed explanation above was very thought out.

My opinions on the matter concerning the op, is if he was to game on a tv and enjoy it, it might as well be plasma. My experience coming from a monitor to using an 38" lcd Samsung tv thinking that was big enough. Trying to game on it was very annoying with the high response times. With all filters turned off nothing changed, was still very laggy feeling. I tried the 50" plasma which was in the lounge at the time and it was magic, exactly how the monitor responded. So afterwards I bought a 42" (Smallest plasma I could find) and I was amazed. Being this close I was worried at first but since trying it, it was worth the extra cash. I’m happy 

I’ve regretted ever buying the lcd tv and later finding out after some researching the reason why lcds lag due to the panels they use for cheaper production i try to persuade people asking advice whether they'll enjoy a tv setup, and my answer will always be yes. With condition it’d be plasma depending how fussy they are with lag.
Anyone who uses a tv should understand the pros and cons and do all they can to look after it.
!