Service Pack 2 isn't working. Do I need it?

Ben_Porter

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'm trying to install Windows 2000 on an older computer of mine. It's an FIC super socket 7 with a Via chipset and an AMD K6-II 300Mhz with 128MB of RAM and an PCI 4MB AOpen S3 Virge DX video card, PCI Yamaha chip sound card, and a PCI Realtek chip NIC. Yeah, it a real screamer. :wink: Windows installs fine, but when I go to install Service Pack 2, when it reboots it gets half way through starting it locks up and continues to lock up in about the same place when I reset it. I've reinstalled and tried it about four times now with seemingly consistent results.

Just wondering if there was a known issue with this computer and Service Pack 2, plus I'm wondering if I even need Service Pack 2. Service Pack 1 seems to install okay (just did that) but I'm worried about the security of the computer. Is it something to worry about if I have Service Pack 1 and get all the updates on Windows Update?

It's just a home computer and not on a domain (yet), but I was thinking I might setup a non-IIS web server on it and so I'm a bit worried about the security.

Anyway, long post. :lol: Hope it's clear enough and someone can help.

Thanks.

G

go to msft web site and make sure all of your hardware is w2k compatible. once the hardward is fine then you will need to d/l the latest drivers for all hardware ect..also you will need to see if your board and bios will handle w2k..:)

blackash

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2001
Yes SP2 has many leaks and software patches that are applied to the OS so it is wise to keep it installed.. SP3 is just around the corner so put 2 on and wait till 3 hits the internet.