Sign in with
Your question

Wait for the 7xx or for the 8xx

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 13, 2012 10:36:44 AM

I intend of building my new rig next summer (need to earn enough money for it though as I intend to WC), should I wait for the 7xxnas I think it will be available next summer or the 8xx series?

Thanks,
Black Devil

More about : wait 7xx 8xx

November 13, 2012 10:41:23 AM

Good things come to those who wait... but better things come to those who cant! whahaha... Get the gtx 670 now! The world is going to end and we will not have next summer anymore...hehehe..
November 13, 2012 10:44:28 AM

Haha yea the world is going to end.. xD though I can't afford 2k sterlings right now on the pc, had to spend a year out of university because I don't want to make a loan as I hate debt(aids) :p  so I am sure I will build the upcoming rig round next summer.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
November 13, 2012 10:46:02 AM

There will always be a better thing coming out just around the corner... When you decide to build the system, go for what's available at that moment and don't look back. Otherwise you'll be playing the waiting game forever.
November 13, 2012 10:54:28 AM

Good idea.. don't make a loan just to play computer games.. that would be just plain stupid..unless you need it for school/work. For now, hang out bars/clubs and get laid.. you can be a nerd later.. it's never too late to become a nerd.
November 13, 2012 11:40:09 AM

Thanks for your support guys, I don't know why I am a pc fanatic, I just like the engineering in it and I 'd def go for a wc system for gaming.

arnoldlouie said:
Good idea.. don't make a loan just to play computer games.. that would be just plain stupid..unless you need it for school/work. For now, hang out bars/clubs and get laid.. you can be a nerd later.. it's never too late to become a nerd.

Yea it would be plain stupid atm im working just as a casual clerk etc just to earn something and going to do licence A in electricity so I would get a part time job also so maybe I will afford to pay for uni next year and continue my b.eng,anyways thanks for the feedback. I read the 7xx series will be same as a kepler so the 680 should do the trick though I want to dodge 7xx if it would be kepler so I can avoid wc it so I'd go for the gk 110-112
November 13, 2012 1:03:43 PM

the 7xx series will be a reworking/evolution of kelper. Which is due around may next year?

However since you don't have any build date set i would just hang on until you've got the cash, by which time you may only be a few months from the 8xx series if you catch my drift?

Im in a similar situation. i want to upgrade from a 1st Gen i7, but upgrading now to Ivy bridge seems stupid when Haswell CPU's are just a few months away.
November 13, 2012 1:32:22 PM

arnoldlouie said:
Good things come to those who wait... but better things come to those who cant! whahaha... Get the gtx 670 now! The world is going to end and we will not have next summer anymore...hehehe..

Not if connor kenway saves it first :D 
a c 86 U Graphics card
November 13, 2012 1:48:43 PM

7xx is supposed to be a reworking of Kepler (something similar to the current professional version of it from what I've read), but it won't be the same as the 6xx series. Nvidia will undoubtedly improve. AMD is supposedly making huge improvements considering that they're not changing the process node and there's no way that I can see Nvidia letting AMD get a huge lead on them in performance.

If your next build will be around the supposed launch times for Geforce 7xx, then that's what to wait for. Waiting another year or so for Geforce 8xx doesn't seem to make sense unless you'd be completely content with what you already have long enough for you to wait that long.
a b U Graphics card
November 13, 2012 1:53:18 PM

when is the NV 7XX/ AMD 8000 series discussion thread gonna start?

personally with SLi gtx 560tis im waiting til 7XX before I upgrade, I'll likely pop in a Sandy Bridge CPU at that time as well
a c 141 U Graphics card
November 13, 2012 5:23:52 PM

^ there are plenty already but i think there will be no sticky thread this time.
a c 271 U Graphics card
November 13, 2012 7:08:21 PM

jjb8675309 said:
when is the NV 7XX/ AMD 8000 series discussion thread gonna start?

personally with SLi gtx 560tis im waiting til 7XX before I upgrade, I'll likely pop in a Sandy Bridge CPU at that time as well

The 6xx series doesn't bring much to the table IMHO, good for games but the F@H performance is crap considering the threefold increase in core count.
renz496 said:
^ there are plenty already but i think there will be no sticky thread this time.

Probably not but you never know... :whistle: 
!