NTFS or FAT32?

Jehdin

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2001
Hey, im going to (attempt to)build my first comp (ever), and im getting Athlon XP 1800+, an Nforce (undecided what brand), an Antec sx840 case with 2 fans and a 400watt power supply, a creative modem blaster v92, and im using my older 40gb 7200RPM harddrive (not sure what brand it is, because i got this current comp from gateway), a cd-rom,cd-rw, floppy drive, and geforce 2 ultra, from the same comp. I'm going to install Windows XP Home on the comp im building, and i need to know how to erase EVERYTHING on my harddrive, and i need to know whether to use NTFS or FAT32 file system, and if i (really) need a DOS partition...You can tell im new at this eh? heh thanks ahead of time..

FatBurger

Illustrious
Just format and leave the one standard partition. NTFS file system (you can let Windows Setup format it that way).

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

G

If you really want to make sure EVERYTHING is off of the drive, don't count on the Windows installer to get rid of it. I would recommend downloading a thin linux distro with fdisk. Since the linux fdisk can read a bunch more different kinds of partitions, you will be able to delete partitions even windows can't see.

I use this distro: http://www.toms.net/rb/

I just gave someone else a quick fdisk lesson, so I'll copy it here:
(quick linux fdisk lesson: run fdisk, press p. if there are any partitions, hit d and then the corresponding partition number. repeat until they're all gone. hit w to write the partition tables and reboot. Heat at 400F for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown, serves 8-10)

I would deffinately use an NTFS file system.

Good Luck!

Peekay

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2001
I recently had to make this decision as well...I used to use FAT32 but recently I found out that it isn't as reliable as NTFS, especially for large HDs (such as mine, one 20gb and the other 80gb). To format you can use either the XP boot option or Win2k .. or you can even go into MS-DOS, I never knew about this Linux way so I don't know the advantages ^_^;;

But anywho hope you have fun, I just recently upgraded as well. Sounds like you'll have a nice setup.

NickM

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2001
<font color=green>...To format you can use either the XP boot option or Win2k .. or you can even go into MS-DOS...</font color=green>
Yes, the easiest way to delete everything from MS’s products is the Delete Partition option when boot from the XP or Win2K CD.
But can’t delete the NTFS from MS-DOS. Only can implement FDISK /MBR in order to re-write (to clean out from dual boot) the MBR. :smile:

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
You can also delete an NTFS partition from Fdisk. Just select option three, and then select option four to delete a non-dos partition.

<font color=red>I aM WE ToDD DiD.</font color=red><font color=white> I aM </font color=white><font color=blue>SOfA KING WE ToDD DiD</font color=blue>