Sign in with
Your question

The final answer to the controversial PCIe x16 version compatibility

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b V Motherboard
November 13, 2012 1:57:41 PM

I always personally trust this article when giving my recommendations - it's better to be safe than sorry.
November 13, 2012 2:02:19 PM

I have also taken that as the truth for the new products.
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
November 13, 2012 2:55:48 PM

Considering he says that NVIDIA said their 6xx cards use more power than the AMD 7xxx cards, which is not true, and NVIDIA would never say, and that he tested low end NVIDIA 6xx cards that are just rebadged 5xx cards I would tend not to believe him. And of course sapphire is going to say the cards not fully compatible with pcie 1 as it doesn't have enough bandwidth.

That being said, you can't get a pcie 1.0 card anymore, but spending money on a high end card new card you can't really run is silly too. Just get a 6670
a b V Motherboard
November 13, 2012 3:14:29 PM

@unksol: PCIe 1.0 has more than enough bandwidth:

Also, HD 6670 is PCIe 2.1 card, which have problems with 1.0 slots, and that's a fact, known not only from that article.

Lastly, GT 640 is not a rebadged card, it's actually a card with Kepler architecture.
a b V Motherboard
November 13, 2012 3:23:40 PM

Sunius said:
@unksol: PCIe 1.0 has more than enough bandwidth:

http://tpucdn.com/reviews/Intel/Ivy_Bridge_PCI-Express_Scaling/images/perfrel.gif

I should add that chart to my signature, given how often this question comes up. Seems like I see it three times a day, and I spend less than an hour a day on this site.

Also, I was under the impression that only some 2.1 cards had issues in 1.0 boards, and only those that were pushing the power limits of the 2.1 slot? Never actually seen anyone have a compatibility problem, though.
a b V Motherboard
November 13, 2012 3:32:32 PM

I've seen a few times 2.1 card gets recommended for 1.0 user slots and then two weeks later he asks for help troubleshooting. In the end, it would appear that the card works in another PC but doesn't in his, and the power supply unit is adequate. I've seen it 3 or 4 times since last year.
!