Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Help me build a ~$3,500 system (gaming/CAD/PS)

Last response: in Systems
Share
December 29, 2012 3:17:39 PM

Hello everyone,

This is my first post here, I would like to start by thanking everyone here. I have learned from this site and forum.

The Build I am considering would become a gift to my brother who just graduated from university with a degree in architecture. I believe he will probably use it for gaming, autoCAD, revit and photoshop.

I am kind of torn between a few things:

x79 (3930k) or z77 (3770k) ?

nvidia GTX 690 or AMD 7970 CF ?

windows 7 or 8?

I dont have a set budget, but would like to keep it around $3,000~$3,500. Im not really looking for excellent value, I am looking for a certain "wow factor". Therefore I would prefer a 690 over two 670's, would prefer Asus RoG motherboards or Sabertooths.



Approximate Purchase Date: this month

Budget Range: $3,000 - $3,500

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, autoCAD, Revit, Photoshop

Are you buying a monitor: Yes 2560x1440

Do you need to buy OS: Yes

Location: Outside the US

Parts Preferences: Asus, Corsair, Kingston

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Case: Corsair 650D or something similar.


Thanks in advance.
December 29, 2012 4:30:31 PM

The build here meets pretty much all of your requirements, including the "wow" factor: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/377626-31-rate-build-...

If you want to spend more money, you could do one or more of these things:
- Drop the HDD and increase the size of the SSDs
- Swap GTX 680s for 690s
- Go with an LGA 2011 chipset for more future-proofing
m
0
l
a c 276 4 Gaming
December 29, 2012 4:59:39 PM

zeusthunder said:
The build here meets pretty much all of your requirements, including the "wow" factor: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/377626-31-rate-build-...

If you want to spend more money, you could do one or more of these things:
- Drop the HDD and increase the size of the SSDs
- Swap GTX 680s for 690s
- Go with an LGA 2011 chipset for more future-proofing


Three things:

1. There's no such thing as future proofing. Especially if CAD programs and Photoshop are going to be used - I've got those programs to run on far lesser systems than X79 - and for gaming X79 does not benefit you. You're overpaying for nothing.

2. Why would you spend $1K on a video card when dual 670s give you identical performance for less money?

3. You don't need to pay more for extra SSD space - you don't come out ahead. Plus SSDs only have a limited read - write cycle and slow down after you load them above 80% capacity, mechanical hard drives can take a lot more punishment.

For that budget here's what I would suggest:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($319.98 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($79.98 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP4 TH ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($174.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($187.85 @ Newegg)
Storage: OCZ Vector Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($269.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($366.97 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($366.97 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Switch 810 (White) ATX Full Tower Case ($168.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: SeaSonic X Series 1050W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($211.82 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($22.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($129.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $2380.48
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-12-29 13:59 EST-0500)

I didn't include monitors or peripherals - I leave those open as that's a personal preference thing.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
December 29, 2012 5:12:27 PM

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($319.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 90.3 CFM CPU Cooler ($61.00 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($180.98 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Kingston HyperX 3K 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($183.77 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 680 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($469.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 680 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($469.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Switch 810 (White) ATX Full Tower Case ($169.98 @ Outlet PC)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 750W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224BB/RSBS DVD/CD Writer ($20.99 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Asus PB278Q 27.0" Monitor ($678.00 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $2954.64
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-12-29 14:12 EST-0500)
m
0
l
December 30, 2012 1:27:09 AM

Thanks for all your input


g-unit1111 said:
Three things:

1. There's no such thing as future proofing. Especially if CAD programs and Photoshop are going to be used - I've got those programs to run on far lesser systems than X79 - and for gaming X79 does not benefit you. You're overpaying for nothing.

2. Why would you spend $1K on a video card when dual 670s give you identical performance for less money?

3. You don't need to pay more for extra SSD space - you don't come out ahead. Plus SSDs only have a limited read - write cycle and slow down after you load them above 80% capacity, mechanical hard drives can take a lot more punishment.



1. Wouldn't 6 cores be better for those programs? also, wouldn't the LGA2011 get more cpus in the future?

2. I understand that 2 670s would perform as good if not better than the 690. I would be getting it because i think it would make a better surprise.


For programs like CAD or photoshop, would nvidia or AMD be better?
m
0
l
a c 276 4 Gaming
December 30, 2012 5:11:45 AM

Quote:
1. Wouldn't 6 cores be better for those programs? also, wouldn't the LGA2011 get more cpus in the future?


Most software runs on quad core right now, it will be a couple of years before software catches up to hex and octo core CPUs, and by then something new and different will come along.

Quote:
2. I understand that 2 670s would perform as good if not better than the 690. I would be getting it because i think it would make a better surprise.


Huh? I'll still hold my claim with these benchmarks: http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/39605-nvidia-gef...

You save like $300 by not getting the 690. It's not as powerful as having a dual 690 setup but you don't really need it for your uses. You can run quad 670s but the drivers don't exist yet.

Quote:
For programs like CAD or photoshop, would nvidia or AMD be better?


Actually in this case NVIDIA because you will benefit from the added CUDA and PhysX hardware acceleration instructions, which the AMD cards lack.
m
0
l
!