Sign in with
Your question

Gpu / psu update

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 13, 2012 5:20:24 PM

Hello,

I received a free computer from a friend who upgraded. I'm looking to replace the gpu and possibly a psu if necessary. I was thinking the 650ti ? I'm looking to spend roughly 125 - 175 on the gpu. The computer is linked everything in it is stock. Thanks for the help. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

More about : gpu psu update

a b U Graphics card
November 13, 2012 6:40:37 PM

Sweet deal! What resolution is your monitor and what games do you wanna play?

I think you should be able to afford the next step up to maybe a 7850. (edited to strike my overly optimistic hope that you could find a 660 in this range)

This article should be helpful when shopping - It has a hierarchy at the back so you can compare deals.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-car...

As for power supplies, your existing one probably only needs to be replaced because of quality, not because of wattage. The 500w range is plenty for one card. Look for one thats rated bronze or above from Seasonic, Corsair, Antec, PC Power, XFX, Enermax, and some others.

I had a cyberpower/ibuypower unit once. The PSU started rattling really loudly after a year and then I replaced it before it blew up lol.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
November 13, 2012 6:57:41 PM

deadlockedworld said:
Sweet deal! What resolution is your monitor and what games do you wanna play?

I think you should be able to afford the next step up to maybe a 7850. (edited to strike my overly optimistic hope that you could find a 660 in this range)

+1

Lol. I'd have a GTX 660 if one could be found in that price range...

I don't think an immediate PSU replacement is really necessary - definitely if it starts rattling, but a GTX 650Ti or HD 7850 is not going to put enough strain on it to cause problems. MAYBE if you overvolt the daylights out of the CPU and GPU, but there's no reason to do that.

Even if you're playing games at 1080p, go for the HD 7850 1GB. GREAT bang for the buck - just make sure you keep texture settings at medium in Skyrim, Max Payne 3, etc.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 14, 2012 1:32:20 AM

jessterman21 said:
I don't think an immediate PSU replacement is really necessary - definitely if it starts rattling, but a GTX 650Ti or HD 7850 is not going to put enough strain on it to cause problems. MAYBE if you overvolt the daylights out of the CPU and GPU, but there's no reason to do that.

I'd agree that you could probably get away with the existing PSU for a little while if need be, but eventually that thing is going to pop and take everything else with it.

I like the peace of mind of knowing I have a high quality unit with a 5 year warranty powering the PC.
m
l
!