Glitchey graphics card

Daleprescott

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
Hello, I have a home built desktop computer and ever since installing my graphics card I have had a ton of problems with it. The card is a XFX Radeon HD 6870 1Gb and when I first installed it in my rig the software that came with it said that no video card was detected and to look on the AMD website for the software package. I went to AMD's website and downloaded the appropriate package, which seemed to work great I could adjust the fan speed, clock ect. But after a few reboots I could no longer acess that section of Catalyst control center. When I attempted to navigate to it an agreement screen would come up and then the whole tab would disappear. This went on for a week or so and I started getting error messages on start up stating that various things failed to load, until one day my computer began freezing right after I enter my password, and sometimes even before then. I had been using this computer for 7 months with the on board graphics card with no problems whatsoever, what the hell happened?

PS: The card is functional and performs quite well.

My setup:
MOBO, Asus ROG Micro ATX Z77 gaming board
Processor, Intel I5 2500k
Memory, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600Mhz
SSD, Crucial 64Gb SSD x2
Graphics Card, XFX Radeon HD 6870
PSU, Corsair enthusiast 850W