Guild Wars 2 GPU

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • GPUs
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 13, 2012 6:33:30 PM

Honestly I wasn't sure if this area or the games area of the forums would be the better place to post this but I'll just start here.

So back when guild wars 2 was first released I purchased an MSI GeForce GTX 660ti OC hoping to at least run the game at acceptable levels. I was severely disappointed with the performance of that card and decided to RMA it. I've been without a GPU since then waiting on some prices to come down on other cards while I also expanded my budget a bit. On the 660ti @ 1680x1050 with every single in game setting set to the highest possible option, anti-aliasing, anisotropic filtering, super sampling, you name it. My fps at times dipped into the 25 range or slightly lower while just running around the open world doing dynamic events here and there, and would probably sit around 38-42 fps on average, rarely going as high as 60fps (monitor limited).

My budget has gone from $300.00 to $500.00 for a graphics card .I've purchased a nice 1080 monitor and I want whichever GPU is going to give me the best performance in guild wars 2 with the latest drivers.

I've tried looking for very recent benchmarks for GW2 and have not been able to track them down on my own, so I have no material off of which to guide me towards the right GPU for me. If anyone has first hand experience with this game using anything from a GTX 670/680 to an AMD 7970, I would value your advice greatly. Here are my PC specs, I don't think I'll be running into any bottlenecks with it.

ASUS Maximus Gene-z Micro-ATX motherboard.
Intel Core i7 2600k @ 3.4ghz stock speed.
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB DDR3 1600.
Gaming @ 1920x1080 resolution.
Thermaltake TR2 600W PSU 1x 6pin & 1x 6+2pin connectors.

More about : guild wars gpu

November 13, 2012 6:47:48 PM

You would been better off with an i5-3570 on boost mode.
Guild Wars 2 uses alot of Cpu.The 660 ti should be enough to run GW2 at decent settings.With a 1080 screen you will need to drop the settings more unless you want a 690 running.
My opinion is to buy a noctua d14 or a evo212+ and OC you cpu(you bought a 'k' series that are designed to be OCed) and get a 670 or a 660ti.
The CPU OC alone will prevent bottlenecking but you wont run with everything on highest setting,specially at 1080.
I had a dual core E7500 @ 3,5ghz and a very old GTS250 and was able to run at 1080 with some anti-aliasing with 40 fps.
Further more the servers were full during release days and weeks after so lag was to be expected.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 13, 2012 7:10:01 PM

blacknemesist said:
You would been better off with an i5-3570 on boost mode.
Guild Wars 2 uses alot of Cpu.The 660 ti should be enough to run GW2 at decent settings.With a 1080 screen you will need to drop the settings more unless you want a 690 running.
My opinion is to buy a noctua d14 or a evo212+ and OC you cpu(you bought a 'k' series that are designed to be OCed) and get a 670 or a 660ti.
The CPU OC alone will prevent bottlenecking but you wont run with everything on highest setting,specially at 1080.
I had a dual core E7500 @ 3,5ghz and a very old GTS250 and was able to run at 1080 with some anti-aliasing with 40 fps.
Further more the servers were full during release days and weeks after so lag was to be expected.

Don't listen to this guy. It's perfectly normal. Guild Wars 2 is bad optimized, people with i7-3930k and GPUs like GTX 680 is complaining about the 30-50 fps issue, as you also have.

I've been monitoring my GPU usage, CPU usage, temperatures and so on in every aspect. They never EVER reach 99%.

At some point this guy is right. It is very CPU dependent, BUT when the strongest CPUs aross the World can't handle it, it's not the hardware. It's as I stated the optimitation.

I myself got:

GTX 660 (Reference)

i5-3570

And I get exactly the same fps as you, nothing more, nothing less. We'r all just praying for an update that will fix it! :bounce: 
m
l
Related resources
November 13, 2012 7:40:01 PM

lostgamer_03 said:
Don't listen to this guy. It's perfectly normal. Guild Wars 2 is bad optimized, people with i7-3930k and GPUs like GTX 680 is complaining about the 30-50 fps issue, as you also have.

I've been monitoring my GPU usage, CPU usage, temperatures and so on in every aspect. They never EVER reach 99%.

At some point this guy is right. It is very CPU dependent, BUT when the strongest CPUs aross the World can't handle it, it's not the hardware. It's as I stated the optimitation.

I myself got:

GTX 660 (Reference)

i5-3570

And I get exactly the same fps as you, nothing more, nothing less. We'r all just praying for an update that will fix it! :bounce: 

Right don't listen to me cause:
i7>i5 for gaming?No.
Having a K series with no OC whatsoever is a smart choice?No.
Because running everything on maximum is impossible?No.

lostgamer_03 has the same fps as you at 1080 with an inferior card but with a better CPU for gaming.
I stand by my first opinion:that CPU should be OCed.The 660ti should be enough to run at 1080.If you want extreme performance don't set everything to maximum.A 670 on best appeareance settings averages 70 frames,a 660 ti should give less than 50+.

Check tom's hardware tests here :

Guild Wars 2 benchmarks
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 13, 2012 7:45:12 PM

blacknemesist said:
i7>i5 for gaming?No.
http://media.bestofmicro.com/J/D/348025/original/appearance%201920.png

lostgamer_03 has the same fps as you at 1080 with an inferior card but with a better CPU for gaming.
I stand by my first opinion:that CPU should be OCed.The 660ti should be enough to run at 1080.If you want extreme performance don't set everything to maximum.A 670 on best appeareance settings averages 70 frames,a 660 ti should give less than 50+.

Check tom's hardware tests here :

Guild Wars 2 benchmarks

You haven't been gaming guild wars 2 I can see. At the launch everything was working better, I had a gtx 560 and I ran the game at ultra t 70 fps with an i5-2500. They have made some updates, which has made the performance worse in the game.
m
l
a c 206 U Graphics card
November 13, 2012 7:55:07 PM

I play GW2 for hours at a time on weekends. With most (but not all) settings maxed, I'm getting perfectly smooth frames everywhere now. I did have a problem with my 7870 returning to 2D clocks in some interior areas, but the latest Catalyst drivers seem to have fixed that.
I get smooth play on my HD7770 too, despite the weaker CPU, by turning down a few more settings; while playing I hardly notice the difference since I have textures maxed on both.
Edit: I rarely run FRAPS, but I did some this weekend to get some clips, and was rarely seeing FPS under 60.
m
l
a c 91 U Graphics card
November 13, 2012 7:56:59 PM

blacknemesist said:
i7>i5 for gaming?No.

An i7 ISN'T better than an i5 for gaming.
Sure, an overclock is nice, but in most cases shouldn't be necessary.
Running everything on maximum is possible, yes, but.. GW2 is VERY BADLY CODED. Period.

@OP: Don't worry about the graphics card - it's the game that's causing the bottleneck, not the hardware.
m
l
November 13, 2012 8:00:25 PM

lostgamer_03 said:
You haven't been gaming guild wars 2 I can see. At the launch everything was working better, I had a gtx 560 and I ran the game at ultra t 70 fps with an i5-2500. They have made some updates, which has made the performance worse in the game.

That doesn't change the fact that:

-For a 550$ budget,30$ can go into a evo212+ and OC the CPU
-His i7 is worse than your i5
-A Gtx 670 should be good enough for stable gaming at reasonable details.
-The OCing of the CPU for just 30$ will be worth it.

I stopped playing the game because I couldnt PvP/WvW with stable fps,my machine was very old but I could still pull 40+ fps on my server(underworld).Plus in dungeons its ever worse:lag,disconnects,etc.
The problem is not client-side but server-side so no matter what you do on your end the server with make you lag.
The 660ti is comparable to a GTX 580/HD 7870(source : Graphics Card Hierarchy Chart) and during the benchmarks made by TH they pulled 62 fps/59 fps,so going over that for this game is not worth it because the problem is in the game.He would be much better off with a good 660ti and a good OCed CPU so the system remains balanced and there are no bottlenecks.
m
l
November 13, 2012 8:03:08 PM

DarkSable said:
An i7 ISN'T better than an i5 for gaming.

Thats what I said ;) 
Because it is poorly coded and there are lots of problems server-side,getting an expensive GTX670/680/690 isnt going to be much help.The problem is theirs to fix.
m
l
a c 91 U Graphics card
November 13, 2012 8:05:27 PM

2842176,9,1437817 said:
Thats what I said ;) 
Because it is poorly coded and there are lots of problems server-side,getting an expensive GTX670/680/690 isnt going to be much help.The problem is theirs to fix./-
said:
Sorry, my bad. I thought you were being sarcastic and ignorant - turns out you weren't. But yeah, most MMO-type games aren't coded particularly well, and don't like to get high fps.
m
l
November 13, 2012 8:09:07 PM

From what I've been seeing since the game came out, granted I've not been able to play it since about 2 weeks out from release... is that even people with less processing power and a higher end card will double my fps (primarily those using 7970 cards) even with supersampling enabled. I don't think the most recent benchmarks here on Tom's even take into account supersampling which is probably going to cripple most cards. The 660ti's 192 bit bus seemed to be my brick wall and I'm not certain that even a geforce 670 or 680 with a 256 bit bus is going to cut it in this game.

I tested out a friends gtx 560 ti448 core (320 bit) in my pc and it was getting BETTER fps than my 660ti. All my testing was done through 100% clean driver installs, using the latest drivers that were available from nvidia in september.

The results I'm hearing from people are all over the map and it's quite confusing when trying to pick out a gpu.

So... $500.00 to blow I don't care if I'm paying $50.00 for 5 more frames, as long as I'm not dipping into the mid 30's fps running around the game world I'll be happy. The 660ti has proven to be worthless to me, so I won't be getting another. So what's the best card $500 can buy?
m
l
November 13, 2012 8:17:52 PM

Well that is because the game is poorly coded but if you want to spend 500$ on a card sure we can help you with that.Still you bought a k series cpu and its a waste not to OC it because thats what the K series are for.

Where are you from so we can look up the deals on your country?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 13, 2012 8:19:46 PM

I'm basically running the specs he wants to be running at.

From my experience, the game is basically coded very badly.

I run at 1080p with everything maxed except for supersampling

At stock settings (3570k @ 3.4 ghz + stock oced EVGA GTX 670 FTW) i get around 50-60 fps stable. In the cities, I dip to the low 40s frequently and sometimes even to the low 20s.

I turn the vertical sync on (cause there's major tearing issues if it's not on) my fps stays stable at 50 for majority of the time and in the city, it dips to the same low 40s and 20s.

After I OCed my CPU to 4.2 ghz, and my GPU to 1050 core + 1150 boosted)

I still get around the same fps from the game. Although the dips in the city doesn't happen as frequently (but it still does frequently)

Pretty much spending more money on the GPU won't increase your performance from my experience.

I really don't know what's the problem with your computer... cause I stay stable at 50-60s with my set-up out in dungeons or world events (other than the large ones like jormag and stuff but it still stays in the high 40s/50s.
m
l
November 13, 2012 8:28:26 PM

killerhurtalot what about WvW?The setup im buying is similar to yours except for the SSD.Can you droping on the sampling achieves playable(~50)fps on PvP and WvW?
m
l
November 13, 2012 8:29:41 PM

Sorry while I was making that last post some of you also posted other things about the coding of the game being just poor overall so I didn't catch that little tidbit. Alright well lets just talk about the best card that $500 can buy at this current point in time. I'm in the USA for what it's worth pricing wise. The other games I play a lot of are pretty much every title from Blizzard Entertainment and Bethesda. So those games are the ones I care about running the most.
m
l
November 13, 2012 8:43:26 PM

From what I can see a 7970 ghz edition with 3gb memory at 384bit would be nice,either Sapphire or Gigabyte.
Sapphire Vapor-X
Gigabyte

From what I read on the forums the GTX680 is not worth it,the difference to the GTX670 is small but its much more expensive.
m
l
November 13, 2012 8:59:23 PM

lostgamer_03 said:

i too have a gtx 560 ti and a amd 6 core 1100t when i first purchase dthe game about 2 weeks ago (during hurricane sandy time)the game ran as smooth as butter now its slow like mud
m
l
a c 206 U Graphics card
November 13, 2012 10:19:01 PM

It still runs quite well for me; insignificant lag anywhere. I'm at 1920x1080 using the "Phoenix" build below.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 14, 2012 2:23:37 AM

blacknemesist said:
killerhurtalot what about WvW?The setup im buying is similar to yours except for the SSD.Can you droping on the sampling achieves playable(~50)fps on PvP and WvW?

I get 45-60 fps stable in WVW.
even with like a 50 people on screen.

The main problem is server side... when the people's sprites don't load and you can get killed by invisible people...
m
l
November 14, 2012 3:36:46 AM

in normal PvE with Full details I have 50-60 FPS.

in WvWvW sieges I have 20 FPS with Low details...
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 14, 2012 4:25:43 AM

Oh hahahhahahahhahaha

Ya. i know why my fps was stuck at 50 fps. I had supersampling on lol.

I can hit 60 fps easy without it on with my set-up.
m
l
a c 92 U Graphics card
November 14, 2012 4:29:06 AM

GW2 will max out on a 7870 for gpu since the optimize the gpu quite a bit since launch. You have to OC your i7 if you want good performance tho.
m
l
November 14, 2012 5:42:42 AM

why should he get i7, and OC it, and an expensive video card? game runs smooth on full detail on my i3 2120 3.30GHz / MSI GeForce GTX 460 SE Cyclone OC 1GB DDR5 256-bit.

the issue in W3 where they lack optimization. IMO it`s the game`s fault, not our hardware.
m
l
a c 92 U Graphics card
November 14, 2012 6:08:14 AM

Doesn't matter whos fault it is, might well OC so he can get the performance he needs since it will literally take like 2 mins.
m
l
a c 206 U Graphics card
November 14, 2012 9:24:01 AM

I believe that supersampling is one of the settings I've always kept "off." There's one other, iirc, where I use "high" instead of "ultra." I haven't played any PvP at all; I'm a PvE guy.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 14, 2012 9:54:13 AM

jktz122 said:
i too have a gtx 560 ti and a amd 6 core 1100t when i first purchase dthe game about 2 weeks ago (during hurricane sandy time)the game ran as smooth as butter now its slow like mud

Exactly! I don't get why that CPU guy won't lay his guard down and accept the reality.
m
l
!