Hello there!
I have built a pc from scratch.
Specs are as follows:

Graphics card: Asus GTX 660
Motherboard: MSI B75MA-P45
Processor: Intel® LGA1155 Core i5-3470
Ram: Kingston DDR3 HyperX 1600MHz 8GB.
Power: 400w

So the computer worked fine, untill a windows update (was windows visual c++ 2010).
After that, the screen goes black after the colored dots that makes out the windows logo appears. After this the screen goes black, and it reboots after about 7 seconds.

The weird thing is that if i start in safemode, it works fine. If i in this mode goes to device manager and uninstall the videodrivers, and then reboot it works in normal mode.

After i boot in normal mode, it repairs the driver and the problem occurs again.

I have tried with another graphicsard, but without the 6-pin power (since it doesent need it), and that works fine.

All fans are running, and the temperature is good.

I have worked with computers for some time, but i have never heard about this problem.

I might add that it shows loads of !!!!!!!! on the screen for a brief period before windows starts.

Anoyone got any idea of what to do?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
What make/model of power supply are you using? This sounds like a power issue (or lack of power) with the video card and your current 400w PSU (the GTX 660 requires a 450w PSU at a minimum).

The basic VGA driver (used in Safe Mode) uses less power and GPU features than when running in normal mode where the drivers enable all GPU functions.

Could also be a corrupted driver install. Removing the drivers and installing the current drivers from nvidia.com might clear up as well.

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-660-oem/specifications

G

Chieftec Smart Series 400W PSU

edit: also, thank you for fast answer :)

G

tried reinstalling geforcedrivers, also the vga driver from the motherboard manufacturer. chipset driver is up to date

G

it might be the PSU, but i will bing the PSU and the graphics card to a testbench tomorrow.
weird thing is that it worked great for a week, but that the update made it not work

G

But if the PSU was the problem, shouldent the fans on the card be off?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Not necessarily. The fans will run as long as some power is provided. That is also a separate "circuit", if you will from the GPU "chipset". The PSU could have simply been pushed too hard for the week it worked and it can no longer keep up. Swapping in a better/stronger PSU will quickly verify the "fix" or not.

G

I see. so there is something in the nvidia driver that makes the card draw more power then without driver.
I will confirm this tomorrow.

thanks alot for all your help!

G

so i tried the computer with a ASUS GTX 690 and it worked great.
i then tried the card in another computer, and it showed the same error with an 750w PSU.

so i made an RMA on the card, and will receiva a new one shortly.