GTX 660 How can i make it work better?

Zicelis

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
Hi guys.

I recentrly bought already assambled pc, it was decently priced at neirby shop. Newweg and amazon does not ship to Latvia so its not an option. So i have no idea what or who made my gtx 660, shop theoreticly gave me all boxes, but vide card box was just black with no pictures on it. its core frequency is 955 to 966 at core temperature staying at +83*c Also its PassMark is 3870 instead of 4025 given as average, Cold this be coused just by using this card in PCI-E 2 slot?
im using this motherboard btw > http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3833#sp

StormOfRazors

Honorable
Nov 9, 2012

It depends what PCI E slot it is in yes, but a generation 2 PCI E slot will not slow your card down significantly. At this stage, having PCI E Generation 3 only provides additional bandwidth. Not having Gen 3 shouldn't be an issue. However, what LANE the card is in could affect performance. If it is in a PCI E x16 slot, it will be able to reach its full performance, however if it is in a x4 slot or maybe a x8 slot, it will be slower. Ensuring the card is plugged into the PCI E slot closest to the CPU (on most motherboards) will ensure you are getting the fastest speed. For your motherboard, make sure it is in that blue slot, not the white one

Edit: And yes, rgd1101 is right, if your case does not have adequate ventilation, the card may not be able to perform as well as it could due to overheating.
Also, ensure to update to the latest drivers on the Nvidia website to ensure best performance ( driver 310.54, although in beta, offers the best performance)