Will a PCI-e 2 x16 graphics card work on a PCI-e x16 board?

A PCIe 2.0 graphics card will work in a PCIe 1.0a slot or a PCIe 1.1 slot. A PCIe 2.1 graphics card will not work in a 1.0a slot, and will only work in a 1.1 slot of the manufacturer has issued a firmware update. PCIe 3.0 cards have full backward compatibility.

You must check to see if your card is 2.0 or 2.1, and if your motherboard is 1.0a or 1.1

You should return that PSU and buy a good power supply from a reputable manufacturer. PSUs are easy to manufacture but hard to manufacture well, and as a result there are a ton of knockoff units that will cause the symptoms that you are describing.

Get your hands on something like this

http://www.amazon.com/Seasonic-ATX12V-S12II-430-BRONZE/dp/B002A17OG0/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1352855132&sr=1-2&keywords=SeaSonic

It's more expensive, but unlike the one you bought, it will actually work.

More than likely. That power supply is probably worse than the one that you took out of the case. The manufacturer may have slapped a '500 watt' sticker on the box but that doesn't mean that it will deliver it. I would put money on it using a diode bridge which can handle at most 250 watts, the rest is just a "*** you" factor which they pulled out of their asses.

Review sites certainly seem to support that assertion, many people have reported them dying within a week. It's best that you remove it ASAP before it turns your PC into a paperweight

Gariond

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
I can turn the computer on and play games for a considerable amount of time before it hard locks though. It doesn't seem to do it at any similar time other then when im playing games.

Gaming is when your PC will be drawing the most power, so it's also when you need your PSU to work best.

Gariond

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
It worked two to three hours before it crashed still. i guess it still might be the PSU though..though two or three hours seems like a long time to be running on minimal power with good result

I could write a 10 page article on all the things that could cause this, all related to a crummy PSU. Unfortunately I don't have the time to do that so you're just going to have to take my word for it.

Power supplies can be made in someone's garage, and from time to time they are. Unfortunately these PSUs do not have desirable performance characteristics which are necessary to ensure stable operation. The PSU in question claims to be ATX12v 2.0 compliant but I highly doubt that it is. It's more than likely going out of specification at high loads -- which is typical for a crummy PSU -- and this is causing your crashing problem.

Gariond

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
So my graphics card is idling at first, and as it needs more power the PSU fails to deliver what it needs and it crashes, then why didn't it crash when i did a stress test on it?

The current and voltage supplied aren't stable. They will eventually drop too low, or shoot too high, and this will cause a crash. It might take 5 minutes, it might take 2 hours.

Why can a badly wired house be fine for a year, 2 year, 5 years and then all of a sudden short out and burn the whole house down? Because badly wired and overloaded is badly designed and overloaded. It may take 20 years of nothing changing or it may take 2 weeks or it may never happen. You've been given answers on what it could be and it more than likely is, but you don't like it. Try running your stock power supply, try borrowing a good power supply from a friend or keep freezing up. Your choice.