Server Operating Systems

jale1966

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2011
Hello

I am looking for a chart or guide comparing the most current versions of Novell, Apple, Unix, Linux, Windows, I am looking for advantages, disadvantages, price, security, tech support, file system and anything else I want to make a chart for all these server OS. Only need one version of each and is the most current version. If anyone knows a site that compares these please let me know.

Thanks

Dale

Solution
For servers, forget about Novell or Apple. I don't even think Apple still has a server product.

The others are easy. Linux and Unix, often free, harder to administer, tech support none if free, find it yourself online.
Windows Server not free, easier to administer, tech support varies on the product and contact with MS

Security, Unix/Linux is nominally more secure because less people target it, if you follow normal practices, both platforms are about the same.

File System does not matter, what matters if the clients that connect will be able to read it, and there are interfaces for both OS types to enable that (SAMBA for example).
For servers, forget about Novell or Apple. I don't even think Apple still has a server product.

The others are easy. Linux and Unix, often free, harder to administer, tech support none if free, find it yourself online.
Windows Server not free, easier to administer, tech support varies on the product and contact with MS

Security, Unix/Linux is nominally more secure because less people target it, if you follow normal practices, both platforms are about the same.

File System does not matter, what matters if the clients that connect will be able to read it, and there are interfaces for both OS types to enable that (SAMBA for example).

Solution