First build, Wont post. No fans start, only front LED

roweshan

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
So i recently purchased all the parts for my first gaming pc build. My list is as follows:

cpu: i7-3770k
motherboard: msi Z77A-G45
RAM: x2 8gb Kingston Blu DDR3
Video Card: Galaxy Geforce GTX 660ti
PSU: Corsair gaming series 700w

I followed some online guides and my motherboard manual and hooked everything up. Everything looked like it was in place and attached fine, and I did not miss any cables (got the cpu 8pin and 24pin power cables to motherboard etc) but when i plug in and turn on the psu the only thing that happens is the LED on the front panel power button lights up. No fans start, nothing seems to start except the single LED. I took out all the components and made sure the motherboard was on the proper number of standoffs and that I had all my components plugged into the psu, but I get the exact same thing. Could this be a faulty psu? or a fried/doa motherboard? I have no clue where to go from here, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

roweshan

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
I have been through much of that trouble shooting list, and I have the 8pin to my cpu power and the 6+2 on my video card, so no problems there. Testing my psu now.

jedithomas

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
Please help! I have a recent issue with my Asus motherboard (Asus P8 Z77-v pro). Writing because all of the descriptions of issues with no beep, no post, no boot don't exactly match my symptoms. Perhaps my problem is a simple fix.

I had a friend help me build this system in July 2012 and it has worked flawlessly until last night when I got a pop-up warning after plugging in a USB card reader, that said card may be flawed, with two options: 1. "scan and fix recommended", or 2 "continue". I clicked the red kill box, and opened it thru 'my computer' then when try to copy over some files onto my local HD, the whole screen just went COMPELTELY black- no signal. I removed the card reader and tried restarting the stystem. nothing. I the did a hard-re-boot (power button for 5 seconds). Nothing.

SPECIFICALLY this is what happens when trying to power-on: three red LEDs light-up and stay on briefly (~5 seconds each), in this order: first, DRAM, then VGA, then Boot-Device. Each then go out and remain UNLIT. Green mobo LED stays on, and all fans working. No CPU beep. No post - Screen remains black. No recent moving the system, power surge issues, all connections look and feel tight. The same LED sequence happens when I hit the reset button.

Thusfar I have only opened the case and checked connections, and once hit the MEMok! button. I don't think it is the CPU or PSU. I suspect (perhaps?) it has something to do with the front USB ports, but I'm in healthcare not computer hardware, so my knowledge is limited. Hope someone can help. Thanks in advance.

jedithomas

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
There is a beeper, yes, but cannot say if it was specifically from this case or not (cannot remember). But, in the normal startup (before last night), there would always be the standard single quick beep at startup. The graphics are enhanced by a GeForce GTX570 1.2 GIG graphics card. I confirmed that it was properly seated with its power wires afixed. Thanks if you have any additional thoughts....! I'm virtually paralyzed without my primary tower!

jedithomas

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012

There is a beeper, yes, but cannot say if it was specifically from this case or not (cannot remember). But, in the normal startup (before last night), there would always be the standard single quick beep at startup. The graphics are enhanced by a GeForce GTX570 1.2 GIG graphics card. I confirmed that it was properly seated with its power wires afixed. Thanks if you have any additional thoughts....! I'm virtually paralyzed without my primary tower!

I would try starting theboard outside the case having only CPU and CPU fan installed. Disconnect all wires from the front panel connector and for starting the board use a screwdriver for shorting the 2 pins corresponding to the power switch. Something similar to http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=d_56kyib-Ls#t=1281s
See if the CPu fan does spin.

I will post in the other thread

roweshan

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
With just the motherboard, cpu, ram, and powersupply hooked up, the fans and power supply do not start. At this point it looks like my motherboard is dead. I appreciate the help guys, but if anyone has any more input I am open to testing more before i go back to my retailer.

G

i'll tall ya what i know.
if it is the PSU, it wouldn't pass the "paper clip test".
if the problem was the CPU then it would keep cycling, trying to boot.
if it is the RAM it would most likely "freeze" when booting - lights are on but no one is home.

getting nothing - 99.9999% sure its the motherboard.

edit: this is all assuming you have it outside the case where there would be no short from touching metal.