Asus v8200 Geforce 3
Hercules Game Theatre XP
Kenwood Truex 62x cd rom
Plextor 16/10/40a cd-r
NEC zip drive
1 IBM Deskstar 60GB
2 Seagate 20GB(raid)

the bad:

ok last week i decided to upgrade my memory from the corsair to 4 sticks of OCZ pc2400 256MB. well, they arent registered unfortunatly. i only had 512MB of memory, but it was running so i left the other 2 sticks in there. well i noticed that my computer would lock up on occasion so i figured it was because of the extra sticks of memory in there.

the ugly:

ok, wanting to fix the random lock ups i decided to yank out 2 of the 4 sticks of memory. i started my puter back up and got the good ol' BEEP.....BEEP....BEEP. gotta love it. ok well at first i figured easy solution, gotta be the vid card(i had to take it out just to get the memory out). so i pushed and made sure that it was all the way in. no go. then i swapped it out with an old savage that i got and still didnt work. so i ruled that problem out. i then thought its the memory. well i pulled them all out and tried all 4 sticks, one by one making sure they were all the way in each time. nothing. then i put all 4 sticks back in (making everything the same as it was when it worked). again, no luck.

at this point i thought "oh my god... my processor" so i took the processor out and stuck it in my brothers pc(he has a MSI kt266a pro and at this time he had the corsair pc2400). well his booted up fine with my processor.

ok at this point i have a headache. for fun i decided to get one of the OCZ sticks and replace my brothers corsair with it. again it boots up just fine. being lazy i just left it in there. i went back to my pc. this is a good time to note that the OCZ memory i took out was from slot 1 because the graphics card is in the way of slot 4. ok for the hell of it i turned it on. wow! it boots up no beeping. of course i then get the error that my memory needs to be in the right slots. i dont care, im ecstatic. it works. so i turn it off, and take dimm 4 and stick it in dimm 1. turn it back on, the beeping saga continues. grr. gotta be that vid card. checked it. beep, beep. crap. memory... check.. beep beep. after about 5 minutes of staring at my wall zoned out from depression, i decided to stick the corsair in there. yay, it works. and now i am here to tell the story.

the question? what the heck just happend to me? now i would be the first to say "memory must not have been all the way in" but if you think about it, thats kind of far fetched. in the first place all i did was remove two sticks. i didnt even touch the other two. anyways, this is a long one. if anyone knows, fill me in and thanks.

garett

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2001
i am using bios version 5w along with highpoint version 1.11.0402. to the best of my knowledge these are the latest versions.

svol

Champion
That are the latest versions. Very strange problem, it could be that the different memory sticks doesn't want to run with eachother, this happens sometimes with memory from different brands.
If I'm right you have 2 sticks of OCZ memory and 2 of Corsair (one in your brothers PC), you could try if two sticks of Corsair memory will run (it does in my computer) in your computer and try if the two sticks of OCZ memory run in you brothers PC.

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek: .

svol

Champion
And take a look at <A HREF="http://www.viahardware.com" target="_new">http://www.viahardware.com</A> they have a FAQ about the KG7, maybe they have some info about this problem.

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek: .

garett

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2001
update:

i am beginning to think that my problem has something to do with winXP + ocz tech memory. is that even a possibility? here is why..

today i decided to give it another shot. i took out my single stick of corsair and put in a single stick of ocz. computer booted up fine, loaded everything up, but when it started to load XP i got a blue screen. put the corsair back in and its fine again.

in addition, i have also been having a problem with upgradeing my brothers pc from winme to winxp.. his box has a stick of that ocz in it. after it analyzes the computer during the setup, it reboots and when it tries to finish installation, blue screen. im using xp upgrade home version.

one of these days ill figure this out :)

G

Do you have the RAM timings set to auto in the BIOS? Maybe the corsair is CAS2 and the OCZ is something else, and someone manually forced the motherboard to use the higher performance settings that a rated CAS2 module coulsd handle. Many times if the RAM settings are wrong then you can get these problems.