Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New build noisy, will replacing fans make it go quiet?

Last response: in Systems
December 29, 2012 10:37:36 PM

Alright so I have a Corsair 650D, recently built with a 7870, i5-2500k, kuhler 620, and using stock fans.

I can hear it from outside my room which is pretty loud...

I'm planning on replacing the stock fans with 2x200mm Cooler Master MegaFlows and a 1x120mm Scythe GentleFlow 1850rpm for the kuhler 620.

Would these increase my temps and my noise? or should i just consider getting a new case?

Thanks.
December 29, 2012 11:35:44 PM

Or get one of the NZXT fan controllers to adjust fan speed, maybe you need to turn on system smart fan option in BIOS.

Review the fan noise db in th manufacturer site, pick the lowest.

toms recently reviewed some cases for silence, go check it.
m
l
December 30, 2012 10:54:26 AM

ilysaml said:
Or get one of the NZXT fan controllers to adjust fan speed, maybe you need to turn on system smart fan option in BIOS.

Review the fan noise db in th manufacturer site, pick the lowest.

toms recently reviewed some cases for silence, go check it.

i have an nzxt sentry mesh fan controller, it doesn't help.
m
l
Related resources
December 30, 2012 11:40:00 AM

How? How many fans do you have?

m
l
December 30, 2012 11:44:13 AM

Best thing to do it have a listen and see which part(s) are noisy. Usually it is just one or two parts so there's no point in replacing all your fans just to find out it's a noisy hard drive or PSU.
m
l

Best solution

December 30, 2012 11:49:12 AM

There are five points where noise will be made in a typical system (if your water-cooling you also have the pump). The CPU heatsink, PSU, graphics card, case fans and HDD's.
Its just a matter of figuring out which is causing the noise and dealing with it.

The HDD noise will be vibrational, so its vibrating the metal its mounted too. disconnect the drive and have it running in your hands, if the noise still happens, its not it. If the HDD is definitely making a clicking noise on its own, in your hand, then you might want to backup whatever's on it.

Case fans are fairly simple, just unplug them one by one until the noise stops and the offending fan/s is found. Replace it/them.

Graphics card, pull it out and run off integrated. If its the problem, replace it or pursue aftermarket means of cooling it.

CPU heatsink is a bit harder to isolate since you cant exactly just turn it off. Same goes with the PSU. You'd have to play it by ear to figure out if either of these are the problem.
December 30, 2012 10:25:35 PM

manofchalk said:
There are five points where noise will be made in a typical system (if your water-cooling you also have the pump). The CPU heatsink, PSU, graphics card, case fans and HDD's.
Its just a matter of figuring out which is causing the noise and dealing with it.

The HDD noise will be vibrational, so its vibrating the metal its mounted too. disconnect the drive and have it running in your hands, if the noise still happens, its not it. If the HDD is definitely making a clicking noise on its own, in your hand, then you might want to backup whatever's on it.

Case fans are fairly simple, just unplug them one by one until the noise stops and the offending fan/s is found. Replace it/them.

Graphics card, pull it out and run off integrated. If its the problem, replace it or pursue aftermarket means of cooling it.

CPU heatsink is a bit harder to isolate since you cant exactly just turn it off. Same goes with the PSU. You'd have to play it by ear to figure out if either of these are the problem.

Thanks for the information, What i found out is that its my water cooler fan thats loud and its loud because its plugged into the pump, i plugged it into the fan controller and now its much quiter, I've decided to replace the top and bottom fan with a Cm megaflow since they are only on sale for $11 each and i'm going to get a Corsair SP120 dual kit for my radiator since those are also very quiet fans. The loudest thing right now is my gpu which i will eventually make a fan speed curve
m
l
December 30, 2012 10:26:13 PM

Best answer selected by Krazeee.
m
l
!