ATI 9250 and BF2 causing VPU recovery

My daughter continues to get a VPU recovery screen right after the
womans voice says "welcome to duty" It will sit for about a minute then
the window pops up saying it recovered from a video failure. I tried to
turn on, then off Fast write (CMOS), upped the agp aperture to 256. It's
a 128m 9250 AGP card. It doesn't show as being supported, but neither
does the 9000pro on their other PC and it works fine there. After every
attempt it gets the same lockup and eventual crash. Anybody find a way
around this, or run into this as well?? Any advice would be helpful, but
please don't just suggest a new card.

"V "fnugen"" <fnugen@hotmail.com> skrev i meddelandet
> My daughter continues to get a VPU recovery screen right after the womans
> voice says "welcome to duty" It will sit for about a minute then the
> window pops up saying it recovered from a video failure. I tried to turn
> on, then off Fast write (CMOS), upped the agp aperture to 256. It's a 128m
> 9250 AGP card. It doesn't show as being supported, but neither does the
> 9000pro on their other PC and it works fine there. After every attempt it
> gets the same lockup and eventual crash. Anybody find a way around this,
> or run into this as well?? Any advice would be helpful, but please don't
> just suggest a new card.

I don't know if this will help, but I suffered from similar problems, I
think.
I have a X800XT PE, and my game crashed frequently or restarted my computer.
(VPU recovery off = Reboot and VPU recovery on = CTD, it seems.)
Sometimes a few minutes into the game, and occationally in the menus. Tried
various drivers, fixes and even installed XP SP2. :)-/) Nothing helped.

BUT!
When I, (a week ago) upped from 1 gig of RAM to 1,5, everything were fine.
Iv'e had only 1 CTD since.
So I suggest that you buy or borrow some more RAM, and try it in your
daughters computer, to see if it helps.

Gubb

Gubb wrote:
> "V "fnugen"" <fnugen@hotmail.com> skrev i meddelandet
>

> BUT!
> When I, (a week ago) upped from 1 gig of RAM to 1,5, everything were fine.
> Iv'e had only 1 CTD since.
> So I suggest that you buy or borrow some more RAM, and try it in your
> daughters computer, to see if it helps.

Hmm maybe there just faulty RAM that isnt used anymore because you have
now more RAM?

V "fnugen" wrote:
> My daughter continues to get a VPU recovery screen right after the
> womans voice says "welcome to duty" It will sit for about a minute then
> the window pops up saying it recovered from a video failure. I tried to
> turn on, then off Fast write (CMOS), upped the agp aperture to 256. It's
> a 128m 9250 AGP card. It doesn't show as being supported, but neither
> does the 9000pro on their other PC and it works fine there. After every
> attempt it gets the same lockup and eventual crash. Anybody find a way
> around this, or run into this as well?? Any advice would be helpful, but
> please don't just suggest a new card.

Okay, setting the AGP speed to 4x gets her into the game, but when she
fires a gun it lags for a couple seconds. For instance with the machine
you can hear it fire but she is frozen while it fires and inside a tank,
she fires and it hangs for about 3 secs until your hear the explosion
then she pops outta lock up. I have read there are problems with the
9350 and BF2, but so far found no answer for the lag. It has nothing to
do with video settings and/or audio. Video is medium/low and audio is
bare minimum including hardware driven. No EAX or anything, VOIP is
disabled as well........I am at a loss. last ditch I suppose.

"Marco Kühnel" <marco_nntp@rocktfort.de> skrev i meddelandet
> Gubb wrote:
>> "V "fnugen"" <fnugen@hotmail.com> skrev i meddelandet
>>

>> BUT!
>> When I, (a week ago) upped from 1 gig of RAM to 1,5, everything were
>> fine. Iv'e had only 1 CTD since.
>> So I suggest that you buy or borrow some more RAM, and try it in your
>> daughters computer, to see if it helps.
>>

> Hmm maybe there just faulty RAM that isnt used anymore because you have
> now more RAM?

Don't know... Never had any problems before, just with BF2. Perhaps I should
run Memtest to check the sticks...
Thanks for the tip. :)

Gubb

hank

I suggest you get a video card that is supported. Then, if your still
having issues let us know. Trying to get unsupported hardware working
is pretty pointless.