soundcards under linux

G

(moved and rephrased from components/soundcards)
I'm gonna buy a new computer (amd xp1600+ /linux) and wanna get a soundcard good enough to make music with, price-range <$200. I'll stick to software-synths, maybe a midi-KB.
Is linux a bad choice if I want to make music? Is BeOS better when it comes to getting drivers to new cards?
I really want to go with linux or at least keep clear from windows, if possible.
how do I know that a card will behave under linux?
I mean, the manufacturer may only say it's good for windows, but I suppose that there will be some generic driver that will make it work, but won't I need a specific driver for both the card and linux to really make use of the card to the fullest?

old yoga proverb:
"when the dog farts,
it's time to fire up your incense."

Red_Zealot

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2001
Your Linux Distro's website will usually have a list of supported sound cards. I think that the Creative series is probably best supported.

You probably don't want BeOS, especially because Be is bankrupt now and has a shrinking user base!

"If you teach a child to read, then he or her will be able to pass a literacy test" - George W.

poorboy

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2002
Another place to look is the <A HREF="http://www.alsa-project.org" target="_new">Alsa Project</A>. Take a look at their soundcard matrix, to see what's supported.

I don't think the OS matters too much. What is probably more important is the Soundcard, driver availablilty, and the Software you are planning to use.

I really like BeOS, and I reckon the <A HREF="http://www.openbeos.org" target="_new">OpenBeOS</A> guys might just pull it off, but if the apps or drivers aren't there, then BeOS won't be a good choice (I know some beos users swear by its audio ability, so there must be stuff out there).

On Linux, for sound quality, some folks rave over turtle beach, and ensoniq, but creative is probably the best supported.

BTW, make sure you get a quiet cpu cooler, too.