Sign in with
Your question

MSI caught cheating, GTX660ti PE, GTX670 PE

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a c 151 U Graphics card
November 14, 2012 3:27:11 AM

Well those that have heard already know what this is about, for those that have not heard about the intentional overvolting of the GTX660ti Power Edition and GTX670 Power Edition., please read the following articles if you wish to partake in the discussion.

Tom's hardware Global article :

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/MSI-GTX-660-670-overvo...

Tom's German article (original) translated with Google translate :

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=...

This happened several weeks ago and according to the German article the new and reduced version of the Power Editions should be available now. As stated by MSI it would be a month.

Open for discussion is :

Are the original PE still in stock somewhere?
Has MSI retracted the original PE version from resellers and if not, how can we know the difference?
Many people still are unaware of this issue and are still purchasing these cards, thinking they are getting a great product, thanks to hundreds of good review across the internet, while they may be purchasing a faulty product or one inferior in performance to the original review they have read?
Why is Tom's the only site that I have seen this on despite some time spent searching?
Why has MSI not been forced to recall these cards entirely?
We have heard no further news of this? What is going on? (please post any article links if possible)
And finally, what do you think? Was it wrong of MSI, or do you think this was an unintentional error, as unlikely as it may seem?

Any constructive discussion is welcome regarding this.

EDIT :

Forgot follow up article from Tom's
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/msi-gpu-GTX-660-Ti-670...

And response on MSI's own site.

http://www.msi.com/news-media/news/1482.html
a b U Graphics card
November 14, 2012 4:07:32 AM

glad I chose Asus over msi for my gtx670.

tbh it won't make all that difference, if your card stuffs up within the next 12months, you would get a replacement unit from msi. Personally, I'd love to overvolt my card if it means better performance. The side effects are concerning though- but I guess thats where warranty comes into play.
a c 185 U Graphics card
November 14, 2012 4:19:12 AM

I have two they work great all professional reviews say it's great except TH so i don't really care to much.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
November 14, 2012 4:19:15 AM

It was fixed. Trust me, I agree with shamsu. By the time the actual warranty of the card has run out (Guessing three years) you probably would've already upgraded. Its a typical cards lifespan, and if it dies beforehand, you get a replacement.

The only thing I didn't like is how MSI said they didn't notice it. If they say its a mistake, I just feel, whats stopping them from doing it again? I feel that they haven't really taken responsibility for there actions, and I probably won't buy a Nvidia GPU from them again (I'll still buy AMD GPU's from them).
a c 216 U Graphics card
November 14, 2012 4:23:30 AM

bigcyco1 said:
I have two they work great all professional reviews say it's great except TH so i don't really care to much.

That would explain the exceptional OCing you get.

@OP
Anyways, I find it hard to call what they did "cheating". They are selling a factory OC'ed card. Overvolting is part of OCing, though they may have pushed the limits of what they should have done.

And that's a pretty old article.
a c 185 U Graphics card
November 14, 2012 4:29:54 AM

bystander said:

@OP
Anyways, I find it hard to call what they did "cheating". They are selling a factory OC'ed card. Overvolting is part of OCing, though they may have pushed the limits of what they should have done.

It certainly could.I do not know though.I have a three year warranty.All i have to say is thank you MSI :lol: 

a c 151 U Graphics card
November 14, 2012 4:30:31 AM

bystander said:

@OP

Well they bypassed PWM allowing DOUBLE the available voltage at any giving clock. Thats not good at all. The trick to overclocking is control. Not free-rampant voltages. That is why these GPU's die on people. Too much voltage without it being force on them by someone that knows what they are doing.
a c 151 U Graphics card
November 14, 2012 4:33:19 AM

shamsmu said:
glad I chose Asus over msi for my gtx670.

tbh it won't make all that difference, if your card stuffs up within the next 12months, you would get a replacement unit from msi. Personally, I'd love to overvolt my card if it means better performance. The side effects are concerning though- but I guess thats where warranty comes into play.

Yes I agree with the warreny part, but do the 'fixed' cards still have the great performance as seen in reviews?
Don't you think that these are all false reviews now? People are under the wrong impression about these cards and what they can do since they have been changed?
a c 185 U Graphics card
November 14, 2012 4:38:11 AM

I think the reviews would have been updated if they preformed differently.The fact nobody but TH seems concerned about it makes me believe it's not even a serious issue.
a c 151 U Graphics card
November 14, 2012 4:43:55 AM

bigcyco1 said:
I think the reviews would have been updated if they preformed differently.The fact nobody but TH seems concerned about it makes me believe it's not even a serious issue.

No other professional review or site has even mentioned this issue. I seriously doubt that is the case. Not even Toms has an update on their GTX 660ti PE insert.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-660-ti-...
a c 185 U Graphics card
November 14, 2012 4:48:31 AM

Novuake said:
No other professional review or site has even mentioned this issue. I seriously doubt that is the case. Not even Toms has an update on their GTX 660ti PE insert.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-660-ti-...
It is strange after all that they do not even do an update does not look very responsible since they went out the way to make a fuss about it.

!