norton ghost and hd cloning

G

What's the best way to go about cloning a hard drive? I have a computer that has a 1 GB hard drive, and I've recently obtained a 40 GB hard drive to replace it with. I want to clone what's on the 1 GB hard drive and put in on the 40GB drive.

What are my options?

<i>The more you brag about your CPU, the more we realize how small you are in other areas.</i>

G

Does your disc manufacturer have a program to do this?

I only say this as I have had disasterous things happen with norton. My experience was probably something I did.

I used IBM's Disk manager 2000 to copy from one to another, also used the same program on non-IBM disks too.

<font color=orange>Beam</font color=orange><font color=red> me</font color=red><font color=green> up</font color=green><font color=blue> Scotty</font color=blue> :wink:

Norton's Ghost is apparently very good, although I've never used it.

Powerquest's Drive Image is not bad. When imaging HDD to HDD its easy, as long as you remember not to enable the bit which copies the unused bits too. On copying to CD's its a bit weird. I found copying an image as a .PQI file to an HDD, then drag n' drop to CD is easier.

<b><font color=blue>~scribble~</font color=blue></b> :wink: <A HREF="http://www.ud.com/home.htm" target="_new">Help cure cancer.</A>

G

Yes apparently NG is good, just that me being the way Iam DM2k is so so simple to use in comparison and was thinking that other HDD makers could have something simular. :smile:
Before anyone says it Iam not simple, ok! Iam so smart it scares me! Scares many others too :tongue: .

<font color=orange>Beam</font color=orange><font color=red> me</font color=red><font color=green> up</font color=green><font color=blue> Scotty</font color=blue> :wink:

G

hehe

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Before you start is your bios able to use the 40 gig drive? There is a very good chance a system that came with a 1 gig drive may need a little help with this new drive ( a DDO). Let me know what you find out.

It's not what they tell you, its what they don't tell you!

G

Thanks for your reply. What's a DDO? Would that mean I would have to get a separate hard drive controller (like an ATA/100) since the machine that's using the 1 gb drive is probably either ata/33 or slower.

<i>The more you brag about your CPU, the more we realize how small you are in other areas.</i>

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
A controller is the preferably alternative, A DDO will however allow you to function without one. First I need to know if indeed your bios can recognize the hard drive in its full potential.

It's not what they tell you, its what they don't tell you!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The best program for copying a partition is Maxtor's Maxblast Plus. It's free for download and will allow you to coppy from and manufacturer's IDE drive to any manufacturers IDE drive, as long as at least one Maxtor or Quantum drive is in the system. I keep an old quantum drive around so I can install that when copying to and from non-Quantum/Maxtor drives.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

G

It won't do Scsi?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Not unless they added SCSI support when they added Quantum support, but I doubt it-the last time I tried it on my system it didn't pick up any of my SCSI drives (including a Quantum).

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

G

Thats why I like disk manager 2000 from ontrack/IBM, it allowed me to copy from a non-IBM disk to another non-IBM disk on IDE as well as Scsi. Usually warns me about this kind of operation but I have not come across a problem yet!

G

Thank you for your advice. Basically, I was upgrading a companies computer, it was an old AMD K6-2 450, and in turns out the BIOS didn't support larger than 32GB. I updated the BIOS which stated it would support larger than 32GB, and after having the drive autodetected, it placed it as a over 33GB but not 40GB. The problem is that the BIOS, even when updated, can't really support a 40GB hard drive apparently. I may have to reconfigure the user settings, but I want to avoid causing problems if it turns out the computer is too old to use a 40GB drive.

Unfortunately, during the process, I found that the CD-ROM drive wasn't working, the driver detected the cd-rom drive, but the drive didn't work (it was dead), as it was an OLD NEC 4x CD-ROM drive. So I had to rush home to get a spare 24x CD-ROM drive (nothings open on New Years Day), installed it, and everything else went smoothly.

It was probably for the better, as it would take much more time to install Windows 98 from scratch using a 4x drive.

Anyway, thanks again.