Computer keeps restarting while gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jincledon

Honorable
Dec 30, 2012
So i have seen a bunch of threads on this because i have been doing research about this but i cant really come up with anything so here it goes.

So i just build my new PC and every time i try and play a game on some it will let me play for like 10-30 minutes then shut down and some it will be like 5 then shut off sometimes even just a minute or so... My best experience has been with playing wow i am on ultra and i can play for like 10-30 minutes then my computer will shutdown then restart automatically.

Just want to get to the bottom of this thanks for your help everyone.

PC Specs

Motherboard: Asus P8z77 v-lk
Processor: Intel Core i5-3570k
GPU: EVGA gtx 660
PSU: Kingwin Maximum power ABT-750mm
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Black CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10 16GB 2X8GB DDR3-1600 CL10 1.5V Dual Channel Memory Kit
HDD: Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 7200.12 1TB SATA 32MB Cache 3.5in Internal Hard Drive
Case: Antec Nine Hundred Two V3

Solution

pretty much yes... theres no definate way to tell which is bad unless u have a friend who has a PSU and Gpu to test in your pc as i said thats how pc engineers do it they test parts they know are working but because im guessing you dont have friends with spare parts ull have to send them back one at a time... and just hope u get the bad one first... i still think its more likely to be the PSU causeing this crap... but ive googled peoples pc's crashing and some say its the gpu that was broken so its 50;50 as i said gl man... maybe try asking on a diff forum page maybe ull get lucky and some super geek can tell...

jincledon

Honorable
Dec 30, 2012

Just incase you needed it know the computer will work all night when its sitting on at the desktop or when im browsing the web or on skype with my girlfriend so it only acts up like this while gaming the temps of my CPU seemed fine while gaming it only got to like 55C so i have no idea what the problem could be...

ikameozero

Honorable
Dec 19, 2012
hi i think the reason no1 has replyed to you is it could be so many things wrong with your pc the main things i think it could be are PSU kingwin is not the bets make just average and i dont trust average... you should really invest ina corsair650 for about the same price will run all your components and you'll know its a top brand and that it provides the power it says

ikameozero

Honorable
Dec 19, 2012
everything else looks fine to me im presuming your running pc at stock and not overclocking the cpu or ram the only other thing i can see it being is the ram.

check your motherboard manual and make sure the ram is in the correct slots either 1-3 or 2-4 slots or if its 6 slot ram motherboard 3-6 slot u always have to miss a slot basically and and find out your ram timings this can also cause random shut off's and enter the timings in bios to find the ram timings you either need to look in your case take ram out look if it has the timings on the side or google your ram should be something like this 8 8 8 8 24 gl if this helped thumbs up = thanks lemme know how it goes gl

jincledon

Honorable
Dec 30, 2012
I was thinking about that but i dont have the money for a new one right now i was going to pick a new one up when i get my paycheck at the end of this week but i wanted to be sure that it wasnt just something that was an easy fix so i dont go drop over 100 dollars on a new PSU and it not even be the problem...

jincledon

Honorable
Dec 30, 2012
i did not mess with the ram timing and they are in the 2-4 slots i have never heard of them not being in the 1 and 3 causing any problems and i guess ill see whats up with my ram timings they should be fine stock but idk. also i didnt overclock anything so this is all stock.

ikameozero

Honorable
Dec 19, 2012
oh and you really need to download prime95 stress test and run large ffts this will test how hot your cpu is getting if cpu gets to hot after a certain emount of time say playing a game with high graphics which will produce more heat could also be shutting your pc down.

so the CPu doesn't get damaged download prime 95 and download hw monitor to check your temps p95 will push your cpu to 100% and then u watch your temps if they go over 80-85 either you need to get better cooling fan or your current cooling fan needs to be reseated and reapply a smaller emount of thermal paste a pea sized emount is enough in the middle of cpu then let the fan/heatsink do the rest as u tighten it down ill give links to all the things you'll need try the first things i said tho about the ram timings and set the rams proper voltage it should be either 1.5v or 1.65 before u start taking your pc apart Links = Prime 95 http://www.majorgeeks.com/Prime95_d4363.html
hw monitor = http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor/versions-history.html
video of how to properly apply thermal paste = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3gx6c62D7I
do it how he does it but maybe slightly less paste depending on cpu size when people spread it with credit cards aka the noob way it creates more air bubbles in the paste = making more space for heat to get trapped and become harder for your heatsink/fan to remove the heat gl man hope i get a thumbs up for this hahaha

jincledon

Honorable
Dec 30, 2012

I think they are set to auto i have to figure out how to change them in my bios it should be 10-10-10-27 i think.

Also im running that stress test now and my comp is handling it well i havent had a restart yet so far its been 8 mins and in at like 76 Celsius

ikameozero

Honorable
Dec 19, 2012
yea the test need to run for approx 2 hours minimum to test stability but yea try all the ram stuff i said and dont forget to set your ram voltage/DRAM to stock it should be 1.5v or 1.65v find out on google if those dnt work id definatly look at it being your power supply you should never trust anything other than corsair antec or seasonic basicly usually if a PSU has a Bronze certificate its good to go

ikameozero

Honorable
Dec 19, 2012
its like example just because a power supply has 750watts doesn't mean its a stable it might be pinging up and down from 550 to 750 just because its not quality stuff were as when u buy corsair antec or seasonic you know your PSU is gonna be 750 non stop perfect wattage also i know u said u dnt have cash atm but i suggest you save for a better psu just incase even if its not the psu did u know a cheap/medium psu when they die or brake they useually kill other pc parts your PSU could wreck your whole pc if its a cheap brand where as corsair and good name brands are much less likely to kill your pc parts i should work for toms hardware hahah

jincledon

Honorable
Dec 30, 2012

Yea i knew about that i just heard good things about these kingwin's in the reviews i saw no body had problems with them where i work we sell corsair 700W and 800W PSU's so i will prob pick one of those up if this ram thing doesnt fix my problem and BTW that stress test is still fine.

ikameozero

Honorable
Dec 19, 2012
well i suppose you can only try it out im not a totall expert on PSU's yet...

but from what i googled its a medium PSU Not cheap and not to good so i guess you can trial it ^^ but its just my opinion i wouldn't risk my whole PC over one part which is only like £10 cheaper than a corsair/antec ^^ i need a new PSU but when i bought this PC it basically came with the manufacturers PSU which is a 1100watt also a medium brand and to tell you the truth never give me any trouble but when i get cash ill feel safer knowing my £2000
pc is on corsair ^^

ikameozero

Honorable
Dec 19, 2012
ill never buy a pc again from a company online... worst idea ever cost me like £400 more than it would to have built it myself and plus they overclocked my bios all fucked up unstable as *** lol crashed everytime after prime95 was on for 2 hours ******* noobs lol ive now got it running at 100MHz faster from 4600mhz to 4700 mhz than they had set it so basicly mines fast and im useing like.50 less voltage... ******* noobs...

jincledon

Honorable
Dec 30, 2012

haha well i didnt have someone make it for me i ordered all the parts and made it myself so this is a whole diff thing than that haha

ikameozero

Honorable
Dec 19, 2012
yes it does anything to do with ram as i said before needs to be set to the actual stock settings never auto auto can cause to much voltage= unstable set all the settings that you googled for your ram set the DRAM voltage the timings you said the correct ram voltage is 1.5 for your ram then if its on manual leave it as it is but the timings definatly need to be taken off auto and put the correct timings in they can definatly cause instability not always but some times and basicly u want your pc as stable as possible obviously

ikameozero

Honorable
Dec 19, 2012
i built pc's for my friends i can built pc's its easy its the part we are talking about right now thats harder the software side of things settings and so on is much harder than just putting screws in motherboard ^^ the reaosn i got mine from a company was because i dident have 2000£ for parts ^^ and the only finance i could get was from cyberpower pc's lol ^^

ikameozero

Honorable
Dec 19, 2012
gpu ??? hmm i doubt its gpu... if it was gpu the pc does not useually shutdown from gpu problems the pc shuts down useually because of either ram or cpu problems but yes good idea just to cancel the GPu out of the equation Gpu's usually either work or they dnt

Status
Not open for further replies.