Will my CPU bottleneck my GPU and what graphics card to upgrade to.

xAltruistic

Honorable
Nov 14, 2012
I'm planning to get a new graphics card for my Asus laptop with CPU - Intel Core i7 CPU Q 740 @ 1.73GHz with 4 gigs DDR3 ram. I currently have graphics card - ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470. I plan to upgrade to a much better graphics card as I plan to sort of occasionally play high-end games such as Assassin's Creed 3 and Diablo 3 and CS:Global Offensive and frequently, MMOs such as the recent Guild Wars 2. Hence I really need help here on what graphics card should I upgrade to ensure very good performance and at the same time not bottleneck my GPU. On a side note, I'm also RuneScape fan and I realised, and I believe due to the recent graphical upgrades done by Jagex to the game, I found it more lag as I see unstable frame rates dropping to 15 (Maxed out graphics in RuneScape). So another question, is my current graphics card not good enough for RuneScape?

bjaminnyc

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
Probably not going to be able to change the vid card to anything vastly superior, or at all.

Would be beneficial if you listed the ASUS model. However, it's likely your power supply and cooling were designed for your existing components or something comparable.

xAltruistic

Honorable
Nov 14, 2012

My Asus Model is k42jr series. Sooo, there's no way I can upgrade my computer to improve its performance? Well, this laptop of mine has pretty short battery lifespan. Is my processor and graphics card really dated?