Sign in with
Your question

Monitor sources black out for 1-2 seconds when switching source

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 14, 2012 7:45:39 PM

I've been trying to research this issue through other posted threads, but haven't been able to find any resolution so I figure I'd post my own and see if a solution could be found. I have a tri-monitor setup with 2 Samsung 24" screens and a TV connected as a third monitor (another Samsung). I use the TV to watch media from the PC when I switch the source to PC and cable TV when set to the TV source and this still currently works fine; but as far as I can remember, when I let Windows install an optional update for the ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series (driver update date was for 4/19/2011 and was installed back on 6/8/2012) whenever I switch the source from TV to PC on my Samsung TV all of the monitors go black for a few seconds. The PC shows no signs of any issues as the audio still continues to work while the screens "readjust", but the screens go black while the new source is detected.

To reiterate, this annoyance of an issue didn't seem to start until the update was applied, so my first idea was to revert the driver, but the option to "Roll Back Driver" is not available and I can't decipher which driver was previously installed to attempt to replace the current driver (8.850.0.0) if it would resolve the issue. The monitors are connected by DVI (main), DisplayPort (secondary) and HDMI (third) on the video card, if this is helpful information. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, please let me know.
a b U Graphics card
November 15, 2012 1:15:05 AM

That sounds like standard stuff to me. The reason you can't find a resolution is because there is nothing to resolve. I have never heard of a TV/monitor that doesn't do that
m
l
November 15, 2012 1:44:44 AM

Yea, mine does it, too. I wouldn't go as far as a full two seconds, but there is an obvious delay up to 1 second between switching sources.
m
l
Related resources
November 15, 2012 3:03:45 AM

lt_dan_zsu said:
That sounds like standard stuff to me. The reason you can't find a resolution is because there is nothing to resolve. I have never heard of a TV/monitor that doesn't do that

I would normally agree with this sentiment, it's just that it didn't initially do this. I could switch sources without the other two monitors going blank until the optional update was applied (at least that's all I can assume at this point).
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 15, 2012 9:52:03 PM

Well, honestly it isn't that big a deal. If you really want to, find the file name of the update and unistall it from the hard drive. That is the only way you could be sure to get rid of it. But I don't know if that would delete something and screw up your system. That is all I can think of.
m
l
!