What graphics card should i get?

HungryFiend

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
Hi, I have been looking for a new graphics card cause currently I don't have one and i am running of of integrated graphics . I really don't know what one i want to get but i am looking for one that is about $150. I would like to get one that is a little cheaper than that but it doesn't matter. I would like a couple ideas so i can keep my eyes out for the sales that Newegg is having. Also, it would be nice if i could get one of the free games or items if at all possible. Thank you ahead of time. :)

Edit: I also dont have PCI 3.0 so that cuts out some options

HungryFiend

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
Is there anything else you could recomend me for my price range because with neweggs sales i would like to get it on sale so i would have more options. Thanks :)

Edit: Also with the fact that my computer doesnt have a pci 3.0 slot i am wondering if the 650Ti wouldnt be better or just as good (i want assassins creed) or something else

JKatwyopc

Distinguished
First off, you are mistaken about PCIe 3.0. You don't need a PCIe 3.0 capable motherboard in order to use a PCIe 3.0 capable graphics card. PCIe 3.0 is fully backwards compatible with PCIe 2.1, PCIe 2.0 and PCIe 1.0 specifications.

With that out of the way, your best bet would be a Radeon HD 7750 or a Radeon HD 7770 based card. Keep in mind that you may need to upgrade your PSU. You should have at least a 400W PSU for either card and the Radeon HD 7770 also requires one 6 pin PCIe power connector. Does your current PSU meet those requirements? If not, get a Radeon HD 7750.

JKatwyopc

Distinguished
The 2GB version of the Radeon HD 7770 is a waste of money. The GPU can't really make use of that much memory. The speed of the graphics card has more to do with the type of GPU, the clock speed of the GPU and the clock speed of the memory in that order rather than the amount of memory.

HungryFiend

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
Hello, I was looking at benchmarks and i saw that the 650 ti get a 3700 rating while the Hd 7770 gets a 2150 and also the 650 ti ets a better video card value 19 vs 17. The 650 ti is also only about $30 more so im wondering if it would just be better if i got the 650 ti.

rambisco

Honorable
Sep 23, 2012

I don't know where you got those "ratings" but in real world games they perform quite similar.

http://media.bestofmicro.com/F/L/355665/original/Skyrim.png