If you take pictures in public listen to this...

Last response: in Digital Camera
June 17, 2005 2:58:01 AM

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=47...

And then check out these web sites.

http://www.krages.com/phoright.htm

http://www.photosig.com/go/forums/read?id=206320

http://www.photopermit.org/

-James Nachtwey-
http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/

More about : pictures public listen

Anonymous
June 17, 2005 2:58:02 AM

John A. Stovall wrote:

> http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=47...

Thanks that was good. Basically says it's not illegal to take pictures
of anything (except military) from a public sidewalk and a story about
some guys that sued & won.

Regarding terrorism threats.

--
Paul Furman
http://www.edgehill.net/1

Thanks John, useful information. Things are not quite as paranoid down
here in Orstraylia, but it's nice to hear the facts, and have them
reinforced by an attorney. The PDF file on
www.krages.com/phoright.htm is something that everyone should probably
carry in their camera bag when out shooting anything man-made,
especially in the US...
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 3:18:11 AM

"John A. Stovall" <johnastovall@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=47...
>
> And then check out these web sites.
>
> http://www.krages.com/phoright.htm
>
> http://www.photosig.com/go/forums/read?id=206320
>
> http://www.photopermit.org/

You're really beating a dead horse, you know, since there's no real way to
combat stupidity. There are so many ways to *covertly* photograph buildings
and people that one would think the guy openly displaying his camera is the
last person who should be at the center of a controversy. Unfortunately,
many people, not thinking things through, shore up and increase their own
fears and politicians have always been ready to pander to such people and
even add to the collective hysteria for their own selfish reasons.

We don't need more laws, we need more sense. Yeah, well, good luck with
that, I suppose...
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 9:31:51 AM

"Paul Furman" <paul-@-edgehill.net> wrote in message
> John A. Stovall wrote:
>
>> http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=47...
>

> Thanks that was good. Basically says it's not illegal to take pictures of
> anything (except military) from a public sidewalk and a story about some
> guys that sued & won.

Of course you can take photos of military equipment from public property.
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 4:22:13 PM

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 23:18:11 -0700, "Paul H."
<xxpaulhtck@zzcomcast.yycom> wrote:

>"John A. Stovall" <johnastovall@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=47...
>>
>> And then check out these web sites.
>>
>> http://www.krages.com/phoright.htm
>>
>> http://www.photosig.com/go/forums/read?id=206320
>>
>> http://www.photopermit.org/
>>

>You're really beating a dead horse, you know, since there's no real way to
>combat stupidity. There are so many ways to *covertly* photograph buildings

Of course one can combat stupidity with facts. And if that doesn't
work a good lawyer and a large judgment against the stupid one can
help.

>and people that one would think the guy openly displaying his camera is the
>last person who should be at the center of a controversy. Unfortunately,
>many people, not thinking things through, shore up and increase their own
>fears and politicians have always been ready to pander to such people and
>even add to the collective hysteria for their own selfish reasons.
>
>We don't need more laws, we need more sense. Yeah, well, good luck with
>that, I suppose...

Where did you get we need more laws out of any of that?

-James Nachtwey-
http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 4:22:14 PM

John A. Stovall wrote:

>>We don't need more laws, we need more sense. Yeah, well, good luck with
>>that, I suppose...
>

> Where did you get we need more laws out of any of that?

Where did you get that he said you need more laws?

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 8:24:38 PM

John A. Stovall wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 23:18:11 -0700, "Paul H."
> <xxpaulhtck@zzcomcast.yycom> wrote:
>

> >"John A. Stovall" <johnastovall@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> >> http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=47...
> >>
> >> And then check out these web sites.
> >>
> >> http://www.krages.com/phoright.htm
> >>
> >> http://www.photosig.com/go/forums/read?id=206320
> >>
> >> http://www.photopermit.org/
> >>

> >You're really beating a dead horse, you know, since there's no real way to
> >combat stupidity. There are so many ways to *covertly* photograph buildings
>
> Of course one can combat stupidity with facts. And if that doesn't
> work a good lawyer and a large judgment against the stupid one can
> help.

You can combat ignorance with facts. Stupidity is unbeatable.
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 10:59:18 PM

It's nice -- in a way -- to know that my own experience a couple
of years back was far from unique. In that case, I was taking
pictures in the train station in Philadelphia when the station
police told me to stop, 'justifying' this request with a vague
reference to 9/11. My friends and I went to the stationmaster's
office and requested permission.

The stationmaster grumbled something about the stupidity of the security
people and gave permission. At least _some_ people (and in authority
at that) still have the brains they were born with. Sometimes I think
that they are all that stands between us and a complete takeover
by the schoolyard bullies who grew up into Gestapo wannabees.
Anonymous
June 18, 2005 1:33:16 PM

"John A. Stovall" <johnastovall@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:p vf5b1955hrkbmvqikgqbjrfc38u6jk2gq@4ax.com...
> On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 23:18:11 -0700, "Paul H."
> <xxpaulhtck@zzcomcast.yycom> wrote:
>

> >"John A. Stovall" <johnastovall@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> >> http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=47...
> >>
> >> And then check out these web sites.
> >>
> >> http://www.krages.com/phoright.htm
> >>
> >> http://www.photosig.com/go/forums/read?id=206320
> >>
> >> http://www.photopermit.org/
> >>

> >You're really beating a dead horse, you know, since there's no real way
> >combat stupidity. There are so many ways to *covertly* photograph
buildings

> Of course one can combat stupidity with facts. And if that doesn't
> work a good lawyer and a large judgment against the stupid one can
> help.

You can combat *ignorance* with facts. Stupidity is a brick wall designed
to keep out facts entirely.

Sorry about the "new laws" bit-- I was victimized by my non-empty copy
buffer from a different message. :)
Anonymous
June 18, 2005 8:49:02 PM

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 09:33:16 -0700, "Paul H."
<xxpaulhtck@zzcomcast.yycom> wrote:

>"John A. Stovall" <johnastovall@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>news:p vf5b1955hrkbmvqikgqbjrfc38u6jk2gq@4ax.com...
>> On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 23:18:11 -0700, "Paul H."
>> <xxpaulhtck@zzcomcast.yycom> wrote:
>>

>> >"John A. Stovall" <johnastovall@earthlink.net> wrote in message

>> >You're really beating a dead horse, you know, since there's no real way
>> >combat stupidity. There are so many ways to *covertly* photograph
>buildings
>>
>> Of course one can combat stupidity with facts. And if that doesn't
>> work a good lawyer and a large judgment against the stupid one can
>> help.
>
>You can combat *ignorance* with facts. Stupidity is a brick wall designed
>to keep out facts entirely.

Lawyers do a good job of at least making Stupidity costly for those
who engage in it to your detriment.

-James Nachtwey-
http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/
!