ultra 100 Bios Driver

a b \ Driver
December 2, 2004 8:23:14 PM

I've done a clean install of WinXP Pro and SP2 on a brand new hard drive.

I'm having trouble with a repeated request from the system to update the VIA
bus master IDE driver. But I don't seem to know enough to find it on the
net. The Find New Hardware Wizard doesn't seem to find it either.

I thought this would be related to the ASUS motherboard? Or maybe it's
Promise Technology? I just have no clue where to look.

At bootup the system says there is no driver installed for the Ultra 100
Bios...is that the same thing?

Any suggestions appreciated.
kp

More about : ultra 100 bios driver

Anonymous
a b \ Driver
December 2, 2004 8:23:15 PM

Sounds like you forgot the motherboard chipset drivers.
www.coribright.com

"kp" <campmhaha@go.com> wrote in message
> I've done a clean install of WinXP Pro and SP2 on a brand new hard drive.
>
> I'm having trouble with a repeated request from the system to update the
> VIA bus master IDE driver. But I don't seem to know enough to find it on
> the net. The Find New Hardware Wizard doesn't seem to find it either.
>
> I thought this would be related to the ASUS motherboard? Or maybe it's
> Promise Technology? I just have no clue where to look.
>
> At bootup the system says there is no driver installed for the Ultra 100
> Bios...is that the same thing?
>
> Any suggestions appreciated.
> kp

Anonymous
a b \ Driver
December 2, 2004 9:07:25 PM

If you have a Promise Ultra 100 controller card with no drive attached to it you will recieve the message "no driver installed for the Ultra 100 Bios". If you have a drive attached and it's not working then you need to go to the promise site to download the driver for the card.

For the VIA problem you need to go to the site of the motherboard maker and look for the model number of the MB that you have, then see if there is an update for the VIA drivers.

--
Just my 2¢ worth,
Jeff
"kp" <campmhaha@go.com> wrote in message news:%23eFWE2L2EHA.3640@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
| I've done a clean install of WinXP Pro and SP2 on a brand new hard drive.
|
| I'm having trouble with a repeated request from the system to update the VIA
| bus master IDE driver. But I don't seem to know enough to find it on the
| net. The Find New Hardware Wizard doesn't seem to find it either.
|
| I thought this would be related to the ASUS motherboard? Or maybe it's
| Promise Technology? I just have no clue where to look.
|
| At bootup the system says there is no driver installed for the Ultra 100
| Bios...is that the same thing?
|
| Any suggestions appreciated.
| kp

a b \ Driver
December 2, 2004 9:23:51 PM

Any suggestions on how I can find that? I went to the ASUS site...is that
correct? But I'm not sure how to figure out what to download...this
information is just beyond the realm of my understanding.
kp
> Sounds like you forgot the motherboard chipset drivers.
> www.coribright.com
>
> "kp" <campmhaha@go.com> wrote in message
>> I've done a clean install of WinXP Pro and SP2 on a brand new hard drive.
>>
>> I'm having trouble with a repeated request from the system to update the
>> VIA bus master IDE driver. But I don't seem to know enough to find it on
>> the net. The Find New Hardware Wizard doesn't seem to find it either.
>>
>> I thought this would be related to the ASUS motherboard? Or maybe it's
>> Promise Technology? I just have no clue where to look.
>>
>> At bootup the system says there is no driver installed for the Ultra 100
>> Bios...is that the same thing?
>>
>> Any suggestions appreciated.
>> kp

Anonymous
a b \ Driver
December 2, 2004 10:16:51 PM

Thanks Jeff, this is very helpful info. I wasn't really even sure I was
talking about two different things. It sounds like that is the case.

A followup question...how can I find the model number of the motherboard? It
was a custom-built box. I was hoping that might be registered somewhere in
WinXP without actually opening the computer and looking on the board?

kp
"» mrtee «" <hingelicker$@new.rr.com> wrote in message
news:o temQwM2EHA.2624@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
If you have a Promise Ultra 100 controller card with no drive attached to it
you will recieve the message "no driver installed for the Ultra 100 Bios".
If you have a drive attached and it's not working then you need to go to the
promise site to download the driver for the card.

For the VIA problem you need to go to the site of the motherboard maker and
look for the model number of the MB that you have, then see if there is an
update for the VIA drivers.

--
Just my 2¢ worth,
Jeff
"kp" <campmhaha@go.com> wrote in message
| I've done a clean install of WinXP Pro and SP2 on a brand new hard drive.
|
| I'm having trouble with a repeated request from the system to update the
VIA
| bus master IDE driver. But I don't seem to know enough to find it on the
| net. The Find New Hardware Wizard doesn't seem to find it either.
|
| I thought this would be related to the ASUS motherboard? Or maybe it's
| Promise Technology? I just have no clue where to look.
|
| At bootup the system says there is no driver installed for the Ultra 100
| Bios...is that the same thing?
|
| Any suggestions appreciated.
| kp

Anonymous
a b \ Driver
December 2, 2004 10:41:43 PM

ah! Just looked at your answer again...when I boot up it says the ultra 100
bios has not drives attached. Since everything is working fine, then it
seems I should be fine.

Right?
kp

> Thanks Jeff, this is very helpful info. I wasn't really even sure I was
> talking about two different things. It sounds like that is the case.
>
> A followup question...how can I find the model number of the motherboard?
> It was a custom-built box. I was hoping that might be registered somewhere
> in WinXP without actually opening the computer and looking on the board?
>
> kp
> "» mrtee «" <hingelicker$@new.rr.com> wrote in message
> news:o temQwM2EHA.2624@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> If you have a Promise Ultra 100 controller card with no drive attached to
> it you will recieve the message "no driver installed for the Ultra 100
> Bios". If you have a drive attached and it's not working then you need to
> go to the promise site to download the driver for the card.
>
> For the VIA problem you need to go to the site of the motherboard maker
> and look for the model number of the MB that you have, then see if there
> is an update for the VIA drivers.
>
> --
> Just my 2¢ worth,
> Jeff
> "kp" <campmhaha@go.com> wrote in message
> | I've done a clean install of WinXP Pro and SP2 on a brand new hard
> drive.
> |
> | I'm having trouble with a repeated request from the system to update the
> VIA
> | bus master IDE driver. But I don't seem to know enough to find it on
> the
> | net. The Find New Hardware Wizard doesn't seem to find it either.
> |
> | I thought this would be related to the ASUS motherboard? Or maybe it's
> | Promise Technology? I just have no clue where to look.
> |
> | At bootup the system says there is no driver installed for the Ultra 100
> | Bios...is that the same thing?
> |
> | Any suggestions appreciated.
> | kp

Anonymous
a b \ Driver
December 3, 2004 9:16:01 PM

Should be, but if you want to use the Promise card you should install the driver for it. It doesn't take up much room.

The make and model of your MB should be located in the BIOS. Or check the manual that came with the machine.

--
Just my 2¢ worth,
Jeff

!