Solved

Need Compatibility Help with GPU upgrade

I want to upgrade my GPU for gaming but I am not sure about compatibility issues. I bought my pc in April 2009. The specs are below. I am thinking of upgrading to a 7850 or 7870 card and would like to know:

1) will it work in my system? 2) is it significant enough of a boost to be worth it? 3) are there any obvious bottleneck concerns you see in my specs so that I would not get the full bang from the new GPU? 4) if a card is pci 3.0 will it also work in my system which has pci 2.0?

Thank you for your help!!

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: ATI Radeon HD 4870 with 1GB and xion super nova 800w power supply

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: CPU intel i7 920@2.66 8/4 cores, ASUS p6t motherboard(i7 x58/DDR3) , 6GB ram Corsair DDR3, , full tower w/ fans

OVERCLOCKING: No SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION:1920x1080 currently-- possible 3 monitor in future for sim racing

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:
2 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about need compatibility upgrade
  1. Best answer
    Hey, you should be able to upgrade to that graphics card no issue. You have more than an adequate PSU, your motherboard can handle a tri fire or triple SLI so one card is no issue, I would go with a HD 7870, it is a big difference in power consumption and performance compared to your old card, and they make a mean crossfire if you ever decide in the future that you need more power. The only bottle neck that I could possibly see is the older generation i7 but you won't really notice it, worst come to worst, stick an aftermarket CPU cooler on it and overclock it a bit.
  2. Best answer selected by traind.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards GPUs Compatibility Graphics